Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport

Kilkeel celebrate trophy hat-trick after dramatic shoot-out in cup final

Kilkeel 3 Mossley 3

Vital goals: David Finlay helped Kilkeel to cup success
Vital goals: David Finlay helped Kilkeel to cup success

By Graham Hamilton

Kilkeel capped the most successful season in their history when they won the Anderson Cup last night at Stormont to complete a domestic treble.

But Brian Niblock’s lads kept their fans biting their nails for two hours before finally adding the trophy to the Kirk Cup and Ulster Premier League title.

Twice the Mournemen trailed by two goals but they fought back to 3-3 to force a shoot-out.

Even then, the shuttles — the player has eight seconds to score — went to sudden death and following a 10-minute delay when Mossley keeper Owen Doole needed treatment after being hit on the head, Kilkeel won 6-5 after the eighth round.

Doole wasn’t able to continue and Matthew Dunlop had to take over, but David Finlay’s goal sealed the issue and so it was a touch of deja vu for Mossley, who also lost to the Mourne side on shuttles in the Kirk Cup decider.

Finlay proved to be one of Kilkeel’s stars, along with David Rae, as he scored in regulation time and converted two shuttles.

It was Joel Cathcart who gave Mossley the lead from a penalty corner rebound after just three minutes and Simon Todd made it two 11 minutes from the interval.

Rae deflected in a crash ball to narrow the gap but Mossley then went 3-1 up with a Jordan Robinson penalty corner conversion.

Finlay’s goal after 55 minutes signalled the start of Kilkeel’s comeback and Luke Russell made it 3-3 before the game went into the shoot-out.

Gareth Russell, Rea, Finlay and Eddie Agnew converted for Kilkeel while Robinson, Matt Anderson, Mark Lee and Cathcart replied for Mossley but the Newtownabbey side managed just one from three in sudden death.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph