Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport

Lack of cutting edge continues to haunt Derry

St Pat's Athletic 1 Derry City 0

Held up: St Pat’s Gary Shaw tackles Eoin Toal of Derry City
Held up: St Pat’s Gary Shaw tackles Eoin Toal of Derry City

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City paid the price for some poor finishing at Richmond Park as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat at St Patrick's Athletic.

In what was a disappointing performance, the Candystripes should have got out of jail late on but Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe twice failed to find the net.

It is now just one win in eight games for Declan Devine's side, with the lack of quality in the final third beginning to cost them.

It took City 15 minutes before they caused any consternation in the Pat's half and it was an ambitious run from Conor McDermott which created their first chance.

The full-back cut inside and picked out Gerardo Bruna, who hit it well but the ball was deflected just wide for a corner.

Pat's hit the front on 23 minutes amid real annoyance on the City bench when Greg Sloggett was sent to the touchline to deal with his bloodied nose from an incident earlier in the game.

As a result, Junior had to help out the defence but he did not track Sloggett's man Kevin Toner, who was picked out unmarked by Michael Drennan to head in the opening goal.

It took Derry the guts of 70 minutes to create a chance of note. Ciaron Harkin cushioned a header into the path of Barry McNamee, who played a superb ball in behind the Pat's centre-halves to put Junior in.

He was one-on-one with Brendan Clarke but, even though he beat the goalkeeper, the ball hit the outside of the post.

There was a real heart-in-the-mouth moment for the Pat's fans on 78 minutes when Clarke came to collect a cross from Ciaran Coll and missed it entirely, but fortunately for the hosts Junior was unable to scramble home.

There were chances at both ends and Junior had the chance to play Adrian Delap in, but opted for the shot himself and put the ball too close to Clarke.

It was not Junior's night at all as he passed up another tremendous chance to score within 60 seconds.

Coll's cross to the back post was perfect for the striker, but he headed wide of goal with just Clarke to beat.

That was City's last chance.

ST PAT'S ATHLETIC: Clarke, Webster, Bermingham, Toner, Shaw (Forrester 66), Markey (Walker 72), Drennan (Doona 85), Kelly, Madden, Lennon, McCabe

DERRY CITY: Cherrie, McDermott (McDonagh 65), Toal, Cole (Kerr 38), Coll, Harkin, Bruna, Sloggett, Delap, Ogedi-Uzokwe, Parkhouse (McNamee 50)

Referee: S Grant

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph