Belfast Telegraph

Fans play role in Easton’s recovery

By Jim Gracey

North West 200 crash victim Stuart Easton has paid tribute to his surgeon and full medical team at the Royal Victoria Hospital as he continues his recovery from injuries sustained in his practice day accident.

Road to recovery: Scottish road racer Stuart Easton in the Royal Victoria Hospital with North West 200 Technical Director Mervyn Whyte. It is four weeks since the rider’s horrific crash stephen davison

Nearly one month after the smash, which left him with a broken pelvis and femur, Easton is expected to be airlifted to Edinburgh's Royal Hospital next Tuesday, where he will be closer to his home in the Borders area of Scotland.

As he prepared to leave the Royal, where wife Clare has been by his side on a daily basis, the MSS Colchester Kawasaki rider also thanked local bike fans, fellow riders, marshals and officials for their support.

He would have been one of the favourites for race day glory but, in the event, a seemingly jinxed North West was cut short by a bomb scare, freak weather and an oil spill.

“I'd like to wholeheartedly thank people from towns and villages throughout Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland for their cards, presents and letters,” Easton said.

“All their messages and support have really helped and comforted me and my wife Clare during the last few weeks.”

The Hawick-based rider added: “It's been a difficult few weeks, but the medical team are really pleased with my progress and week on week, I can really feel improvements.

“These past few days I have been able to go outside in a wheelchair and I'm getting my appetite back. It's still a bit painful, but that's to be expected. I'm receiving physiotherapy twice daily which helps immensely.

“Of course, I'm mostly looking forward to seeing our 20-month old son Finley, who has been staying with his grandparents for the past four weeks.

“I've been so chuffed with all my cards and presents and every day I've received visitors which has really helped keep my spirits up.

“I'd particularly like to thank North West 200 technical director Mervyn Whyte for all his help and support since the accident — it's been very much appreciated.”

Regular visitor Whyte said he was delighted with Stuart's progress to date.

“ I called in to see Stuart just before heading off to KnockhiIl in Scotland for the British Superbikes this weekend and I'm so pleased that he is making very good progress,” reported Mervyn.

“Each time I visit I really notice the difference and I'm delighted that Stuart will be able to fly back to Scotland on Tuesday to be closer to his home and family. We hope Stuart continues to make excellent progress and, of course, we'll be keeping in touch with both Stuart and Clare over the coming months.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph