Belfast Telegraph

Alonso throws his Formula One future in the air

By Philip Duncan

Fernando Alonso has cast major doubt over his Formula One future by refusing to commit to the sport beyond this season.

Alonso is preparing for his home race at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya off the back of his debut win at last week’s World Endurance Championship race at Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium.

But the 36-year-old’s days of winning in F1 appear further away than ever as McLaren’s troubles roll on. Alonso, who last took to the top step of an F1 podium at this race back in 2013, may be sixth in the standings with 28 points, but that tally says more about his racecraft rather than the speed of his McLaren.

“The biggest thing here is how predictable everything is,” said Alonso, who is dovetailing his F1 commitments with six World Endurance Championship events.

“We can put on paper now what would be the qualifying result here on Saturday, what it would be in Monaco, in Silverstone. This is sad for Formula One. So that’s something you need to take into account for future decisions.

“I’m attempting two championships at the same time. The F1 calendar is quite demanding.”

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph