Formula One has to consider bringing in enclosed cockpits to improve driver safety following the serious accident involving Jules Bianchi, one of the bosses of the Williams team has said.
Autosport magazine claimed F1's top teams rejected a move by the FIA last year to introduce closed cockpits because they felt the structures would make cars look ugly.
Claire Williams, deputy team principal of Williams, refused to confirm if that had been rejected but said the enclosed cockpits now had to be looked at.
Speaking at the Leaders in Sport conference in London, she said: "I can't talk about what we discussed in our strategy group meetings. But safety is always on the agenda in Formula One.
"Enclosed cockpits aren't easy technically to integrate and of course they change the very nature of what a F1 car looks like.
"We have to look at all the options available to us whether it's an enclosed cockpit or not, but I think those conversations need to go on behind the scenes.
"Safety is always paramount so we have to find ways to ensure our drivers are as protected as possible and I don't think the aesthetics of a F1 car - yes they are important, they are the very fibre and DNA of Formula One - and what cars look like is important, but safety has to be paramount."
Bianchi remains in a "critical but stable" condition after he suffered a traumatic brain injury during a crash in last Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix.
Williams added: "Our sport is dangerous at times, but a lot of work has been done behind the scenes in the past 20 years since Ayrton died at Imola in 1994."