| 5.5°C Belfast

Perez to return at Silverstone after quarantine

 

Close

Positive test: Sergio Perez

Positive test: Sergio Perez

PA

Positive test: Sergio Perez

Sergio Perez will return for Racing Point at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix after missing last weekend's race following a positive coronavirus test.

The Mexican driver has been in quarantine for over seven days after he returned the positive result last Wednesday ahead of the British Grand Prix.

But Perez has been given the green light to race at Silverstone by the local medical authority providing he returns a negative Covid-19 test. Nico Hulkenberg is on standby if Perez is not fit.

A statement from Racing Point read: "Public Health England have confirmed that Sergio Perez's period of quarantine has been completed. In line with the FIA Code Of Conduct, Sergio requires a verified negative test result for Covid-19 before he can enter the paddock. The testing process is taking place."

There had been some doubt over whether Perez, who became the first Formula One driver to go down with coronavirus, would be available to drive after the period of quarantine for those testing positive extended to 10 days.

But Perez's Racing Point team are using the date of his first inconclusive test, which took place last Wednesday - 24 hours before the change from seven to 10 days was enforced.

Earlier this week, Perez reported that he was free of symptoms. Hulkenberg, Perez's replacement for the British Grand Prix, qualified 13th at Silverstone last week, but failed to start the race following a technical failure.

"It would be disappointing (not racing this weekend), having been back in the car and getting a taste of it," said Hulkenberg. "But it was always clear. I came in as a temporary replacement for Sergio. He is the driver."

Meanwhile, Valtteri Bottas has been retained by Mercedes for 2021.

The Finnish driver is 30 points adrift of team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the World Championship.

Next season will mark Bottas' fifth campaign with the Silver Arrows. Hamilton's future beyond this year is yet to be confirmed but it is expected he will also stay with Mercedes.

Bottas said: "I'm very happy to stay with Mercedes and build on the success we've enjoyed."

Belfast Telegraph