Belfast Telegraph

Glenn Irwin reigns supreme in monsoon Supersport race

By Roy Harris

Glenn Irwin put in a wet weather riding master class at Cadwell Park yesterday to win his second British Supersport race of the season with ease while fellow Carrick rider Alastair Seeley pulled out of the race on the third lap to see his championship hopes diminish.

Irwin and his Gearlink Kawasaki started from the third row of the 14 lap race, took the lead on lap three and quickly opened a two second gap in treacherous conditions that saw his closest challenger James Rispoli crash out on lap five.

Seeley, starting on row four, and carrying an injury from Oulton Park, ran onto the grass at Park Corner on lap three when eighth and retired to the pits.

Irwin said: “I got a good start and pulled a move on Luke Stapleford on lap two to get into second and from lap three when I got into the lead, I just rode a good steady race. A massive thanks to everyone who got me here this weekend — you know who you are.”

In the championship, Seeley is now 38 points behind series leader Billy McConnell with eight races remaining while Irwin has moved into fourth behind Seeley.

After losing the Superstock 600cc championship lead following two non-finishes, Jordanstown rider Andy Reid bounced back to win yesterday’s round and halve the deficit to series leader Kyle Ryde, who could only finish fifth in very changeable conditions.

Reid and Ryde set the early pace, but Mason Law, on dry tyres, hit the front before crashing out, as conditions worsened, handing the lead back to Reid who went on to win by eight seconds.

Reid said: “I needed a result here today. It started to drizzle just before our race and I picked wet tyres and just rode a steady race. When Mason came by I knew he was on dry set up, so just maintained my steady progress.

“Unfortunately he crashed out and I’m glad to be back on the top step of the podium again.”

The 20-year-old now trails Ryde by 12 points in the championship chase with four races remaining.

Castlerock’s Marty Nutt held off a last lap challenge from Dennis Hobbs to win yesterday’s Ducati Tri-options race, his first win of the season.

In a day for surprise maiden winners in the British Championship races, Tommy Bridewell was in the right place at the right time when the red flags came out to stop race one due to rain and then Peter Hickman, the fastest newcomer at both the TT and Ulster Grand Prix, took his RAF Reserve Honda to a sensational victory in atrocious conditions in race two.

Meanwhile, on the Isle of Man following yesterday’s cancellation due to poor weather, the revised programme of races for today starts at 12noon with the 350cc Classic TT followed by a Lap of Honour Parade Lap, then at 2.45pm the eagerly awaited Classic F1/2 TT that sees Michael Dunlop and Bruce Anstey renew rivalry while the Manx Newcomers race is scheduled to start at 6.30pm.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph