Belfast Telegraph

Guy Martin in sizzling form at Cookstown 100

By Paul Lindsay

Tyco BMW-mounted Guy Martin scored a magnificent double when he won both Superbike races at a sun-kissed KDM Cookstown 100 road races in front of a record crowd.

Martin won the opening race from Michael Dunlop who had came through from fifth to finish just one hundredth of a second in arrears. Early leader Derek Sheils finished third.

There was a cause for celebration in the Tyco BMW camp prior the start of the KDM Cookstown 100 races, when team owner Hector Neil was honoured for his services to the sport. Kenny Loughran, chairman of the Cookstown and District MCC, made the presentation, which was well received.

In the feature race of the day - the KDM Hire Cookstown 100 - Derek Sheils on the BikeBitsNI Kawasaki got the holeshot in the scheduled 10-lap encounter. But Martin soon moved ahead, with Michael Dunlop looking menacing in third on the Milwaukee Yamaha.

Dunlop edged past Sheils on lap four and headed off in pursuit of the flying Martin, posting the fastest lap of the race in the process on lap five.

Dunlop closed Martin down before making his move at the end of lap six to take the lead, but it all went wrong on lap seven.

The Ballymoney man high-sided on the exit of Mackney's, causing the race to be red flagged, with the results then being taken from the opening six laps, with Martin awarded the win.

Martin had never won at Cookstown previously, so this was indeed a dream start to his road racing season, especially after taking the Spring Cup at Scarborough just a few weeks ago.

Sheils took second, with Mar-Train Racing's Dean Harrison coming from the second group to take third on corrected time. William Dunlop on the second Tyco BMW was fourth ahead of B.E. Racing's Jamie Hamilton, with James Cowton competing the top six.

William Dunlop was unstoppable in the 600class taking the CD-IC Yamaha to a double in the championship and invitation races.

In the Invitation Race, Dean Harrison took second from Jamie Hamilton.

The Championship race was a much closer affair with Derek McGee on Wilson Craig's Honda taking second ahead of Harrison. After setting the fastest lap of the race, Michael Dunlop retired on lap four.

The Supertwins provided the closest race of the day, with the top four covered by three quarters of a second.

Michael Dunlop led the race from start to finish on local sponsor Winston McAdoo's machine, but he had to work hard for his win with Michael Sweeney, Jamie Hamilton and pole man James Cowton all breathing down his neck.

Sam Wilson gave the Joey's Bar Supporters' Club their first road race win, when he headed home Nigel Moore and Paul Jordan in the 125 class. Moore, however, had the fastest lap of the race.

Barry Davison scored a double in the Classic races, when he topped both the 350cc and 500cc classes.

After this excellent start to the National Road Racing season, next up, this coming Friday and Saturday, is the Around-A-Pound Tandragee 100 in County Armagh.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph