Belfast Telegraph

Ian Hutchinson hails TT high Five

Bingley bullet Ian Hutchinson took an unprecedented fifth straight TT victory during yesterday’s re-started four-lap Senior TT, while also posting the fastest lap of the race with a lap speed of 131.487mph.

Dungannon’s Ryan Farquhar took second place with Relentless by TAS Suzuki’s Bruce Anstey stealing in for third — the race bringing the curtain down on TT 2010.

Hutchinson now joins Isle of Man TT legends Jim Moodie, Chaz Mortimer and Phil Read on eight TT wins, and said afterwards: “I’ll never complain again if I break down on the Isle of Man.

“Luck has been on our side this week.

“I’m speechless. It is awesome – just unbelievable. It was windy out there and hard.

“I've been suffering with a bad cold over the last few days but managed to overcome that, and to become the first rider ever to win five races in a week just leaves me speechless.

“The Padgett's team have built me brilliant bikes and the fans were waving all round the circuit like I've never seen before,” he added.

The opening 12.30pm, six-lap Senior TT effort was stopped after only two fully completed laps, when Wilson Craig Honda’s Guy Martin had a monumental crash at Ballygarey, right at the start of lap three — at exactly the same spot that claimed the life of Kiwi Paul Dobbs just 24 hours earlier.

The Lincolnshire truck fitter’s Superbike burst into flames upon impact with the street furniture, which was described by one of the onlookers at the Glen Vine section of the circuit as, ‘somewhat similar to that of a plane crash’.

Martin was stabilised on the scene, before being Air-Med to Nobles Hospital a short distance away from the scene, with suprisingly minor injuries, for a 150mph crash on a public road circuit.

The Lincolshire man was treated for bruising to both lungs and some minor fractures to his spine, asking medics to pass on his thanks to all the fans, explaining: “This incident isn’t down to lack of commitment!”

The race was immediately red flagged, setting another precedent for the Senior TT, with the remaining riders being led back to the Glencrutchery Road paddock at a controlled speed.

At the time of the incident, 15 times TT winner John McGuinness led from Ian Hutchinson (pictured below) and Conor Cummins.

A three o’clock re-start over a reduced four laps was then announced, giving Ryan Farquhar and Bruce Anstey a second bite at the cherry: with both riders having retired in race one with mecahnical problems.

Right from the off it was HM Plant Honda’s John McGuinness who took an early advantage over Padgetts Honda mounted Ian Hutchinson, but the Bingley rider continued to produce the goods over the Mountain section and at the end of the opening lap he had the narrowest of leads — just 0.61sec separating him from McGuinness after the aforementioned quickest lap of the race at 131.487mph.

Conor Cummins on the McAdoo Kawasaki was also within shooting distance in third place, just 2.25sec adrift of the Honda pair, with HM Plant debutant Keith Amor fourth; and first race retirees Ryan Farquhar and Bruce Anstey, counting their lucky stars in fifth and sixth respectively.

The 21-year-old Michael Dunlop had been disputing fourth place in the opening encounters, but was sadly a first lap retirment — ironically ‘parking up’ at the 26th milestone — now named ‘Joey’s’ after his legendary uncle, Joey Dunlop.

The drama began to unfold on lap two, when second placed man McGuinness was reported touring at Glen Helen, just nine miles out;

then a high-speed incident involving Conor Cummins was reported, with the lofty Manxman crashing heavily at the Verandah.

At the end of the second lap and the necessary pit for fuel, Hutchinson had extended his lead to 27 seconds over new second-placed man Keith Amor with Ulster’s Ryan Farquhar miraculously up to third.

Hutchinson, who by this stage was beginning to think of another victory, was able to control his lead over Amor, but it wasn’t long before the Falkirk rider joined his HM Plant Honda team-mate on the sidelines, also retiring at Glen Helen, this time on the final circuit.

Farquhar wasn’t complaining though, being promoted to second place with only 26 miles of racing remaining, and from there the 34-year-old father of two held on for his maiden Superbike TT podium — finishing 37 seconds behind Hutchinson and 36 in front of Anstey on the Relentless by TAS Suzuki.

A delighted Farquhar joked after the race: “When I broke down at Cronk y Voddy in the first race, I’m glad no-one came over with a carry-out, or I would have been on the drink and missed the re-start.

“It really is strange to be sitting here after breaking down; the man above must have been looking after me today.

“I’ve learnt a lot this week and I’m delighted for Nick Morgan and Kawasaki, to have put their bike on the podium,” Farquhar added.

Regardless of his third place, Bruce Anstey was, in all probability, riding his final TT race for TAS Suzuki, with veterans Ian Lougher and Michael Rutter, fourth and fifth, and Dan Stewart sixth.

Ballymoney’s Adrian Archibald, riding with a standard motor and treaded tyres in his AMA Suzuki finished seventh ahead of Dan Kneen, with fellow Ulsterman Davy Morgan and James McBride making up the rest of the top 10 places.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph