Belfast Telegraph

Racing pace proves too hot for Rea and Laverty

By Roy Harris

It turned out to be a disappointing day for Jonathan Rea and Eugene Laverty in the World Superbike championship round in the Czech Republic.

Off the pace: Jonathan Rea had two disappointing outings in the Czech Republic after crashing out and finishing 12th GETTY IMAGES BY ROY HARRIS


Rea crashed out on the penultimate lap of race one, while fighting for a podium place, and then he finished a lowly 12th in race two fighting rear grip issues; results that dropped him from third to fifth in the championship.

Rea (Ten Kate Honda) was battling with Tom Sykes for second in race one when the Kawasaki rider ran slightly wide on a bend with Rea trying to go for the small gap that was created, but that closed as Sykes came back onto his line and the two machines collided with Rea high siding out of the action unhurt with Sykes going on to claim second position.

Rea said after his two races, “It’s been a really frustrating weekend on what is one of my favourite circuits.

“Conditions were unpredictable at the start, but I soon found a rhythm and was battling for the lead when Tom ran wide. I was on the inside when he cut back and I got ejected, which was unfortunate.

“In race two I felt something wrong with the bike from the very start. I had no grip and we will have to look at the data to confirm if it was the tyre.

“It was all I could do to hang onto 12th; not exactly what I want when I go racing and I’m really disappointed.”

Laverty started both races on his factory Aprilia from the front row of the grid, but in race one, in far from perfect conditions, with

the track drying all the time from earlier heavy rain, he dropped to 11th in the early stages.

As conditions improved he raced through to join a six-man dice at the head of the field that included Rea, but in the closing laps faded to finish fifth.

In race two it was a similar story with Laverty in the leading group again fading to finish fifth. Marco Melandri won both races on his BMW the first time both rider and machine had completed a WSB race winning double.

Meanwhile, in the seventh round of the British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch, Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) finished fourth in both races to consolidate fourth position in the championship.

Tyco Suzuki by TAS had Josh Brookes finish second to Shayne Byrne in both races with the Australian saying afterwards, “I tried my best in both races to get into the lead, but Shakey (Byrne) was just too good.”

The two races saw identical results with Byrne beating Brookes, Tommy Hill and Laverty to the chequered flag in each.

Ian Lowry crashed out of race one before finishing eighth in race two while Alastair Seeley ended the day with ninth and 11th place finishes.

Ryan Farquhar won the Cock O’the North feature race at Scarborough finishing almost five seconds ahead of Dean Harrison in the ten-lap race. Farquhar also won both supertwin races.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph