Belfast Telegraph

Three months after his horror crash, biker Stuart Easton walks again

By Jim Gracey

North West 200 crash victim Stuart Easton is miraculously close to recovery from multiple serious injuries sustained in his Practice Day accident just over three months ago.

The 26-year-old Scot's racing career was initially in doubt after he shattered his pelvis, femur, hip and bowel in a collision with MSS Colchester Kawasaki team-mate Gary Mason at Station Corner during the first NW200 practice session on Thursday, May 19.

Now he could return as early as next season. The Hawick-based Superbike star is now back at home with his family in the Scottish borders, off his crutches and moving freely, albeit with a slight limp.

Every step represents remarkable progress in a rebuilding process that began with five weeks in Belfast's Royal Victoria hospital before being transferred to Edinburgh’s Royal Hospital where he could be much closer to friends and family.

“I’m due back for an X-Ray on August 30,” 2002 British Supersport champion Stuart reported.

“If the thigh bone has healed well, as doctors have predicted, I’ll undergo a small operation to get my ‘knee bend’ fully back to normal. The plan then is to have intensive physio and build up my strength, energy and fitness levels.

“I’m feeling so much better now and my weight is climbing back steadily.

“I’m progressing ahead of schedule though my recuperation is extremely boring — there’s only so much daytime TV you can watch! However I am enjoying watching Thomas the Tank Engine with my two-year-old, Finlay and spending quality time with my wife Claire.

”In terms of 2012, the Kawasaki team have kept in touch and boss Nick Morgan has indicated that he would like to kick start our partnership again next year once I’ve been given a clean bill of health!”

North West technical director Mervyn Whyte welcomed the news, saying: “Since Stuart and Claire returned to Scotland I’ve kept in regular contact and am thrilled at how well Stuart is recovering. I really admire his tenacity and determination and we look forward to welcoming him back here in the future.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph