Belfast Telegraph

Tragedy at Skerries as rider Byrne is killed

By Roy Harris

Racing at Saturday’s Aon Bikecare 65th Skerries 100 road races just north of Dublin came to a premature and tragic end following the death of rider Myles Byrne following an accident shortly after the start of the grand final, an incident that also seriously injured a spectator.

Racing was immediately abandoned after the accident. Byrne, from Dunshaughlin in Co Meath, was a regular rider in Irish road racing.

The accident happened on the first lap of the grand final and the race was halted straight away.

Earlier in the day Ryan Farquhar had taken a double in the Supertwins and open classes, Keith Amor won a sensational Supersport 600cc race, while Michael Dunlop and brother William won the 250cc and 125/Moto450 races respectively.

The Supersport race was undoubtedly the race of the day with Amor, Farquhar and the Dunlops locked in battle throughout the race, their machines evenly matched for speed.

However Amor was the man in charge and he hung on to take a well deserved victory.

Farquhar took his now customary win in the Supertwins class, then won the open race from pole position despite early pressure from the BMW of Amor.

In the eagerly awaited 125/Moto450 race William Dunlop and Farquhar were locked in an intense battle throughout the re-started race, the first attempt stopped due to the threat of rain, with victory eventually going to the two-stroke Honda of Dunlop.

Michael Dunlop took a win in the 250cc race beating Davy Morgan and brother William.

Farquhar made the overnight journey to North Yorkshire for the Barry Sheene classic Road Race Festival at Scarborough yesterday and rattled off four wins and two other rostrum finishes.

Meanwhile Marshall Neill from Portadown scored a treble at Mondello Park yesterday with two wins in the Superbike class plus the Monarch of Mondello feature race while Carrick rider Glenn Irwin scored a double in the Supersport class.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph