The Armoy Motorcycle Club has expressed disappointment over claims by Michael Dunlop that he was treated unfairly and unequally by the organisers.
Ballymoney man Dunlop withdrew from his home meeting on Friday morning and said he had taken the decision “reluctantly after so many years of enjoyable and successful racing at Armoy”.
In a statement, the 21-time Isle of Man TT winner said his team had been “informed that it was not being treated on an equal and fair basis with some of the other teams taking part in the event”.
Dunlop, who has won the feature “Race of Legends’ a record nine times in a row, added: “We can’t explain our level of disappointment with the situation with the club after 10 plus years of commitment to the event.”
The 33-year-old did not shed any further light on his reasons for pulling out of the race.
In response, the Armoy Club refuted Dunlop’s claims and said it was “saddened” by the situation.
“The Club is very disappointed that Michael Dunlop and MD Racing will not be attending the Armoy Road Races, particularly when this is his home race,” a statement said.
“The Club treats all riders fairly and equally, always has done and are saddened that anyone would think otherwise. Riders enter races and withdraw for various reasons which is always disappointing. There will be no further comment on this matter.
“Today we have a quality field of entrants, and the races goes ahead with roads closed, as scheduled, at 11am. We wish all competitors a safe and enjoyable weekend with us in Armoy.”