Belfast Telegraph

I need to regain winning feeling, admits Seeley

Grand parade: Derek Sheils leads Derek McGee and Michael Sweeney on his way to winning the Grand Final race at Faugheen yesterday
Grand parade: Derek Sheils leads Derek McGee and Michael Sweeney on his way to winning the Grand Final race at Faugheen yesterday

By Roy Harris

Jack Kennedy opened up a 22-point gap over Alastair Seeley in the British Supersport Championship with a scintillating double at Snetterton over the weekend, with Seeley relegated to third in each race by Kennedy's team-mate Brad Jones.

The meeting, however, was marred by serious injury to 19-year-old Duleek rider Aaron Clifford.

Clifford was involved in a three-rider pile-up at the start of the Superstock 600cc race and was transferred to Addenbrooke Hospital by Air Ambulance with a serious head injury amongst other issues.

Kennedy, from pole position, had no equals, racing to a 2.763-second win over Jones, who overhauled Seeley in the final dash to the chequered flag, 0.036 seconds the margin in Saturday's Sprint race.

After early skirmishes in yesterday's feature race, Kennedy took the lead on lap three and from there inched away lap by lap, eventually winning by seven seconds from Jones with Seeley a further three seconds back in third.

Seeley said: "That was a pretty boring race. I got a good start and actually led at one stage.

"I was lacking acceleration and I was just trying to catch Brad (Jones) and keep Kyle Ryde behind me. As for the Championship, we need to sit down now and think how we can start winning races again."

Kennedy, who now has a 22-point advantage over Seeley, said: "I'm over the moon and couldn't have had a better weekend.

"In the second race I went out, laid down the law and nobody could catch me. That's two years in a row we've done the double here and I've extended the lead in the series."

Andrew Irwin had his best ever Superbike weekend with fourth and fifth-place finishes on his Honda racing machine.

In race one he finished fifth, 1.218 seconds ahead of his team-mate Xavi Fores, and went even better in race two, finishing fourth with Fores back in eighth.

Irwin said afterwards: "We made a big step forward at Knockhill and we were pretty consistent this weekend and made no mistakes. I'm going to Thruxton for the next round up for the challenge."

Tyco BMW had a damage limitation weekend with Christian Iddon, despite his broken leg still healing, taking 10th in race one and a heroic sixth in race two, while Michael Laverty scored 11th and ninth as deputy for the injured Keith Farmer.

Scott Swann had a fourth and fifth in the British Talend Cup races.

At Bishopscourt yesterday, Carl Phillips scored a memorable victory in the Mid Antrim 150 Club Neil Robinson Memorial race and collected the £1,000 prize after finishing 1.293 seconds ahead of Alistair Kirk, who had Gerard Kinghan less than half a second behind him.

Young Cookstown rider Gary McCoy scooped the Donny Robinson Memorial Supertwin race, which needed three starts, by just over a second from Christian Elkin and Ross Irwin.

Derek Sheils, who was on board the BE-RK Suzuki, scored a tremendous Open/Grand Final double during the Faugheen 50 road race meeting in the Republic of Ireland.

Derek McGee led a heart-stopping Open six-lapper until the final lap with Sheils and Michael Sweeney on his back wheel, but as they flashed into view round the final right-hander it was Sheils who took the chequered flag.

McGee won the Supersport race by a second from Michael Browne, completing a double after he won the Moto3 race by 13 seconds from Melissa Kennedy, while Sweeney won the Supertwin race by six and a half seconds from James Chawke.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph