Belfast Telegraph

Michael Dunlop confirms 'multiple breaks' after Southern 100 crash

 

Injury blow: Michael Dunlop has suffered a broken pelvis after crashing at the Southern 100
Injury blow: Michael Dunlop has suffered a broken pelvis after crashing at the Southern 100

By Roy Harris

Michael Dunlop revealed he suffered a broken pelvis and other fractures following Thursday's crash during the Southern 100 in the Isle of Man.

The 30-year-old from Ballymoney said: "After breaking my pelvis and multiple breaks and bruises I'm back on my feet again."

He was pictured with a walking frame after signing himself out of Nobles Hospital yesterday morning after crashing at Castletown Corner as he chased Man of the Meeting Dean Harrison on the second lap of the Island Aggregates Senior race.

The 19-times TT winner must now be considered a major doubt for the fonaCAB Ulster Grand Prix where racing takes place at the Dundrod Circuit on August 8 and 9. Dunlop had been carrying shoulder and wrist injuries since a crash during testing prior to the North West 200, which he openly admitted held him back during the TT. Then a crash during the Donegal International Rally before the Southern 100 aggravated those injuries and now another injury that will require rest could very well end his season.

On the road racing scene, TT champion Lee Johnston has confirmed that he will ride the Ashcourt Racing Yamaha R6, which he won the opening Supersport race on in the Isle of Man, at the return of racing to Oliver's Mount, Scarborough in the Barry Sheene Classic meeting on July 27-28.

It has also been confirmed that the Maguiresbridge rider will compete on the Davies Motorsport Honda in the Junior and Senior Classic TT races next month, joining last years Junior winner Dominic Herbertson. Following his sensational treble at Donington Park last weekend in which he wrestled the lead of the World Superbike Championship from the long-time leader Alvaro Bautista, Jonathan Rea will look to increase his 24-point lead at the Californian Laguna Seca track today and tomorrow.

Rea's run of form has reversed the domination of Bautista and as the series heads into its traditional summer break after Laguna he will want to consolidate his position with the next round not until early September in Portimao.

Rea said: "Weekends like Donington do not come along very often, but I enjoyed it and now we go to the famous Laguna Seca circuit, which is another great track with terrific support.

"It's important to stay healthy and arrive there in good shape because of the long break afterwards. We have to make it count in America."

Eugene Laverty will attempt to race at Laguna Seca, having been forced to call it quits after the opening day's practice at Donington. Laverty is still fighting for fitness after breaking both wrists at Imola seven weeks ago.

He will again have to pass the relevant medical checks after free practice yesterday to determine whether he is fit to push the Ducati V4-R to its limits.

In first free practice, Rea finished in first position, half a second ahead of Tom Sykes with Toprak Razgatlioglu in third.

Alvaro Bautista, 24 points behind Rea in the championship, was in seventh position with Eugene Laverty 14th.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph