| 10.1°C Belfast

Winner Keith Farmer ploughs ahead in the championship race

Keith Farmer

Clogher's Keith Farmer extended his British Supersport Championship lead at Brands Hatch by winning Saturday's sprint race and finishing second in yesterday's 18-lap feature race after a blistering scrap with Andrew Irwin and Jack Kennedy.

Alastair Seeley was first over the finish line in the sprint race, but scores no points riding the development Spirit M2 machine and then yesterday Luke Stapleford was first to take the chequered flag ahead of Seeley, but neither score points.

So all eyes yesterday were on the trio of riders scrapping for third on the road, but the Supersport victory - Farmer, Irwin and Kennedy.

Going into the final lap, Irwin was in front of Farmer and Kennedy with the result going down to the final bend where Irwin and Farmer ran fractionally wide and Kennedy forced the Tempus MV Agusta inside to the chequered flag a 10th of a second ahead of Farmer and Irwin, who flashed past the flag as one.

Farmer got he verdict by four one hundredths of a second and in the championship he now leads on 190 points from Irwin 164, Kennedy 157 and David Allingham, eighth yesterday, on 155 points.

Farmer commented: "In Saturday's race I made a late change from wet to intermediate rear tyre on the line. Patience paid off and we got the win. Today it was a battle and I didn't know who was behind me, all I was interested in was the points gap and I managed to finish in front of my closest rival."

Winner Kennedy said: "That was a real hard race for me coming from 12th on the grid. I managed to get onto the back of the leaders and with Andrew setting a good pace I took a risk and made my move on the last corner. I'm really, really happy."

Disappointed Irwin said: "It is a bit frustrating. I led most of the race then Keith put a hard, but fair, pass on me and then I ran ever so slightly wide on the last corner and Jack swept through. I'm still chasing my first win in the series."

Tyco BMW improved their visibility in British Superbikes with Christian Iddon returning from injury to take third position in race two, having finished eighth in race one.

Delighted Iddon said: "It's great to be back in action after two months since my last race. I was a bit rusty in race one where I lost four places in a lap and a half, but race two was more like it and I needed that result."

Glenn Irwin struggled manfully with his injured shoulder, finishing outside the points in race one, recovering to score two points in race two while Michael Laverty finished 13th and ninth and Tyco BMW recruit Andy Reid was 18th and 19th. Irwin's team-mate Shakey Byrne won both races comfortably.

In three Superstock 1000cc races Josh Elliott finished 14th and sixth twice while Carl Phillips scored two ninths and an 11th on his MD Suzuki.

Randalstown 18-year old Eugene McManus finished fourth in the first Motostar race before taking a rostrum third in race two with Richard Kerr ninth and sixth.

Belfast Telegraph