| 13.4°C Belfast

High five as rampant Candystripes move up to second position


Cool head: Aaron McEneff fired in two penalties for Derry City last night

Cool head: Aaron McEneff fired in two penalties for Derry City last night

©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Cool head: Aaron McEneff fired in two penalties for Derry City last night

Derry City destroyed Finn Harps 5-0 to move into second place in the Premier Division after a clinical display of finishing at Finn Park last night.

In the build up to the game, all the talk was of Derry's defensive woes, but by the end of the contest it was City's attacking players who deservedly earned all the plaudits.

Linfield boss David Healy was an interested observer in the stand as the Candystripes went goal crazy.

The start to the game was encouraging for City with Conor McCormack testing Richard Brush from range before a series of corners caused consternation in the Harps defence, with McCormack having another shot deflected just wide before Niclas Vemmelund had a shot cleared away by Ethan Boyle.

The game almost turned in Harps' favour as Ryan Curran nutmegged Ryan McBride to gain a sight of goal but his shot lacked the power to beat Gerard Doherty.

But just moments after that chance, a superb 60 yard pass by Vemmelund caught Ciaran Coll ball watching, allowing Lukas Schubert to race in behind the Harps defence and force a foul from the Harps defender, who brought the Austrian to the ground, conceding the penalty.

Aaron McEneff kept his cool to drill the ball low into the bottom left corner to give Derry the lead.

Derry were then awarded another penalty by referee Paul McLaughlin three minutes before the break when Schubert collected a pass from Nathan Boyle before being bundled over in the area by Barry Molloy.

Again McEneff stepped up and picked the same side, drilling the ball low into the bottom corner.

Within seven minutes of the restart, Derry City had ended the game as a contest as another superb pass from Vemmelund put in Dean Jarvis who picked out a simple pass to Boyle who side-footed the ball past Brush.

The final 10 minutes saw Derry add two more with Schubert beating Coll and racing clear before placing the ball past Brush for the fourth.

Keith Ward wrapped up the scoring, finishing off a sweeping counter attack in the final few minutes.

Finn Harps: Brush, Coll, Cowan, Mailey, Curran, McNamee (Hanlon 57), McMonagle (Scully 57), Houston, Mailey (Foy 62), Boyle, Molloy.

Derry City: Doherty, Vemmelund, Jarvis, McBride, McDermott, McCormack (Monaghan 83), McEneff, Schubert, McNamee (Ward 76), Boyle (Daniels 70), Patterson.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin

Man of the Match: Lukas Schubert (Derry City)

Belfast Telegraph