Amir Khan: I need some answers
Gilberto Jesus Mendoza, vice-president of the World Boxing Association, says the unidentified man accused by Amir Khan of interfering with the judges during his defeat to Lamont Peterson last month is “unknown” to the organisation.
The Bolton fighter lost his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles on a split decision against hometown fighter Peterson in Washington on December 10.
The 25-year-old has questioned several issues surrounding the fight — from referee Joe Cooper's performance to alleged inconsistencies with the judges' scorecards — and last night aired another grievance, relating to the appearance of an unidentified person at ringside.
Khan's appeal against the defeat will be held later this month but he yesterday pre-empted the appeal by using Twitter to send out a number of images of the fight in Washington.
Mendoza confirmed that the WBA are investigating Khan's comments, and insisted the man shown in the images is not known by the governing body.
“I am going over the facts but this man is also unknown to us,” he said.
Khan had posted on Twitter, in a series of messages, a commentary of the person's movements during the fight.
The 2004 Olympic silver medallist is concerned about the appearance of the man, unknown to him, at ringside during the bout and claimed the man should not have been talking to WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh.
Although Khan has been vociferous in his criticism of the decision that cost him his titles, he says that he craves a rematch with Peterson more than having the result of the fight changed.
“That's what we want,” he said.
“I've asked for the fight, I've asked for the rematch and I'm not getting an answer back from Lamont Peterson's team. We've offered him a lot of money, there's a lot of money been put on the table for him to take the rematch.
“I really think the whole world thinks I deserve this rematch because I know I was treated unfairly. I've asked for the reason and I'm getting no answer. That's the reason I'm getting desperate now.
“That's the reason I went on Twitter and I put the tweets up.
“I just want another chance somewhere neutral just to prove to my fans that I am the real champion and I won the fight.”
Khan's business manager Asif Vali said they have asked for explanations from the various governing bodies relating to a number of their concerns.
“There are four or five different things that require answers and my job is to ensure we get those answers,” he said.
“I want to know the reason this person sat there.”
Floyd Mayweather Jr has had his jail sentence delayed until June to allow him to keep a May fight date in Las Vegas.
Mayweather Jr was last month sentenced to 90 days after pleading guilty to reduced battery domestic violence and harassment charges and had been due to report to jail yesterday.