Belfast Telegraph

Giants stars have two matches to save jobs

Belfast Giants 1 Cardiff Devils 2

By Stuart McKinley

Ed Courtenay has given his Belfast Giants players two games to save their jobs after suffering a seventh defeat in eight last night.

The coach has threatened changes and last week's signing of Shaun Sutter means that one of the team's imports will be leaving in a matter of weeks.

They may not even last that long with a fed-up Courtenay reacting angrily after losing 2-1 to the Cardiff Devils at the Odyssey - despite taking the lead just before the midway point of the game.

With a 'home' match against the Hull Stingrays in Dundalk on Saturday followed by a trip to Cardiff on Sunday, anyone who doesn't perform in those games will run the risk of being given their two weeks' notice on Monday morning.

Courtenay went into a rage after the game, saying: "A couple of our Brits aren't good enough and our leaders aren't leading.

"I have given them the benefit of the doubt and I warned them.

" They now have two games, Saturday and Sunday, and they better start leading or they are done.

"I told them after the game last Friday night that before I go I will take them with me and once again mistakes cost us the game."

It was Leigh Jamieson who paid a heavy price for a late penalty as the Giants revival turned out to be short lived.

The six-game losing streak was brought to an end in Edinburgh on Sunday night, but if that was looked upon as a turning point the team will now have to search for another.

Scott Cameron - who is the only Giants player regularly chipping in with goals - put his team in front, but the lead lasted only eight minutes when Max Birbraer scored for the Devils and just over 10 minutes from the end the visitors completed a comeback victory when Jason Silverthorn netted while Jamieson sat out for two minutes after being guilty of delaying the game.

The Giants would have been on a powerplay had Jamieson stayed on the ice as Gerard Adams had just been called for a delayed penalty, but instead it was 4-on-4 and Silverthorn grabbed the winner from Birbraer's assist to give Cardiff only their second win of the season.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph