Belfast Telegraph

In Pictures: NFL comes to London as Chicago Bears beat Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Wembley

The Glazer family suffered a second sporting defeat of the day as a late rally from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers fell short in a 24-18 loss to the Chicago Bears at Wembley last night.

The Glazers took a helicopter south to London after seeing Manchester United crushed 6-1 at home by rivals Manchester City.

This had been billed as the most evenly matched of the NFL Wembley games to date, but Chicago ran away with it early on before Tampa Bay tried to come back in the fourth quarter.

Having trailed 21-5 going into the final 15 minutes, the Bucs scored two touchdowns to close to within three points.

The Bears responded with a field goal and intercepted Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman for a third time to seal victory.

A Chicago win seemed to suit the majority of the 76,981 Wembley crowd, with the Bears' lingering popularity among UK fans from the late 1980s and the days of William 'The Refrigerator' Perry.

Chicago's Matt Forte thrilled the London crowd with some explosive bursts, scoring the opening touchdown as he danced into the end zone from 32 yards out late in the first quarter.

Chicago added a second touchdown, Jay Cutler throwing 25 yards to Roy Williams in the second quarter and when Tampa Bay settled for a field goal on their only promising drive of the first half, there was a sense it was already over.

That notion seemed to be confirmed early in the second half, when Marion Barber burst through to add a third Bears touchdown.

It took a defensive play to get Tampa in position for their first touchdown, as Corey Lynch's interception set up a pass to Kellen Winslow early in the final quarter.

When Freeman found Dezmon Briscoe with a 24-yard pass with 7:25 still on the clock it was game on. Chicago responded with a thrilling drive, but despite a huge penalty call against Aqib Talib, they could only manage a field goal and the defence held on.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph