Belfast Telegraph

Kelly aims for historic trophy haul


By Alex Mills

Gary Kelly will today go on a trophy blitz in the Provincial Bowling Association Championships at Limavady.

The Ballymoney ace is on the verge of scribbling his name into the history books as he will contest an incredible four finals - singles, pairs, triples and fours.

No player has managed to achieve that feat in the same season, but who would bet against the big Ireland international?

He hardened his challenge yesterday by beating Cookstown's Colin Hogg 21-14 in the singles semi-final.

Kelly will now go head-to-head with Gary McCloy for the right to be crowned singles king. The Portrush man held off a stubborn John Quinn to record a 21-18 winning margin.

In yesterday's other semi-final ties, young Joshua Tennant (Ballymoney) and Brad Hutchinson (Coleraine) reached the youth singles final following respective wins against Brad Stirling (Coleraine) 21-15, and Nathan Pitts (Cookstown) 21-13.

• Marty McHugh will be on a double mission in the NIBA Championships today at Carrickfergus.

The Ireland international has already rewritten the record books at this level having won the singles title an incredible seven times… while he has gone one better in the pairs.

But he is now on course to up the ante in both disciplines. He will face Divis' Gerard McGleave - also a former winner - in this afternoon's singles decider.

McHugh and Barry Browne, however, go into action this morning in the pairs, lining out against Portadown's Aidan Corrigan and Mark Sproule.

• Belmont's chances of silverware this season finally fizzled out when they lost by two shots to Larne in the quarter-finals of the IBA Senior Cup at Old Glenarm Road on Thursday night.

It was Alan McLean's impressive 29-11 win against Stuart Bennett that tilted the tie in favour of the PGL boys, who will now face either Coleraine or Dun Laoghaire on August 11.

Larne were joined in the last four by Balmoral. The NIBA side finished level (74-74) with Pickie, but held their nerve to win by three shots after an extra-end.

The East Antrim side will now face Whitehead in their semi-final outing.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph