Belfast Telegraph

Murray relieved to pass first test

Andy Murray admits he was given a tough test by Spaniard Ivan Navarro as the defending champion edged into the third round of the AEGON-sponsored Championships with a 7-6 6-3 victory at Queen's.

The world number four was pushed all the way by Navarro's serve-and-volley performance, particularly in an opening set which he eventually won 7-6 (10/8).

The 28-year-old Spaniard took every opportunity to charge to the net but Murray, sporting a strapping on his right knee, produced some wonderful shots to finally eclipse his opponent.

The Scot will now play either American Mardy Fish or Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the third round.

“It was a tough first match,” said Murray. “He served very, very well in the first set.

“I didn't return particularly well. It was tricky play and not what you expect from a Spaniard, coming forward on every point. It was good.

“It's nice to see someone serve and volley. I haven't played a serve-and-volleyer this year. This is the first time, so it was tricky and he did it very well.

“But I started returning well and had some good passing shots. You know, that's what grass court tennis is like. Quick reactions, quick reflexes.”

Murray clinched the title last year to become the first British winner since 1938 and he did so without losing a set.

He came close to blotting that copybook in the first-set tie-break, despite having led 4-1. Navarro fought back and earned set point with a superb low volley at 5-4, but the British number one levelled with a vicious cross-court forehand.

Murray finally ended the opening set with a 10-8 success thanks to a cross-court double-handed backhand on the world number 108's serve.

“I played a sort of sharp slice and he came forward,” added Murray. “It was just kind of instant. He was covering the line and I got a good hit on it.

“I saw a lot of the players slipping the first couple of days in the matches I was watching. I thought I moved pretty well. It didn't feel too slippery to me. I hit the ball well from back of the court once I got into the rallies.”

Andy Roddick defeated Russian Igor Kunitsyn 6-2 6-1, Gael Monfils crashed out, beaten 6-3 6-7 6-2 by Germany's Rainer Schuettler in a rain-affected match, while in Halle, Roger Federer defeated Jarkko Nieminen of Finland 6-4 6-4 in the first round of the Gerry Weber Open.

Meanwhile, Aleksandra Wozniak was the biggest winner on the second day of the AEGON Classic in Birmingham as she progressed to the second round at the expense of Alicia Molik.

Wozniak, beaten by Elena Dementieva in the second round of the French Open last week, had too much for the Australian and ran away with a 7-5 6-1 victory in just over an hour.

Sixteenth seed Vania King also progressed with an easy 6-4 6-0 win over Belgium's Kirsten Flipkens.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph