Belfast Telegraph

Waringstown’s Cup hopes crushed by hot Hills

By David Holmes

Kyle McCallan’s decision to bat first after winning the toss backfired in spectacular fashion as Waringstown crashed out of the Bob Kerr Irish Senior Cup semi-final.

Former Irish international Naseer Shaukat ripped through Waringstown’s top order as The Hills skittled the holders for just 84 runs in 29 overs.

The veteran seamer found conditions very much to his liking at The Lawn, finishing with six for 22. The writing was on the wall when Shaukat found the edge of James Hall and then Lee Nelson shortly after, both batsmen caught at slip, with only four runs scored.

When he picked up professional Glen Addicott and McCallan, it was 26 for four and the game was already as good as over. Addicott’s dismissal was somewhat contentious as The Hills wicketkeeper Dewald Pretorius seemingly appealed for a stumping and after consultation between the umpires Addicott was given out bowled.

The one positive for the home side was Simon Harrison carrying his bat through the innings for an unbeaten 33 off 77 balls.

Waringstown opened with the spin of McCallan and Gary Kidd; Kidd in particular reduced the chase to a crawl with only eight runs from his 10 overs.

In reality The Hills needed to do little else and when Darryl Calder was dismissed for 23 off 104 balls the scores were tied. It just remained for Max Sorensen, who is in the Ireland team to face South Africa A in a four-day game at Oakhill which starts their Irish tour today, to hit the winning run.

In the Premier League Ballymena threw the title race wide open with an eight wicket win over North Down, their first win at The Green since 1985; to more joint top with the Comber-based side. Kaushik Aphale scored 109 coming off just 81 balls as he shared an unbroken partnership of 171 with David Kennedy who made 68 from 117 balls.

Carrickfergus remain winless as CSN chased down 206 and win by four wickets.

Saturday’s game between Lisburn and Instonians and yesterday’s tie between Waringstown and North Down were both victims of the weather.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph