Ulster rider Pat Cosgrave hits out over Emirates ban costs
Banbridge jockey Pat Cosgrave has hit out at the Emirates Racing Authority after he was placed on its forfeit list over his failure to pay costs relating to a ban.
The ERA has been trying to recover £35,000 in costs after the rider had a six-month suspension reduced to four months on appeal.
The ban dated back to earlier in the year when Cosgrave was found guilty of improper riding in the Group One Jebel Hatta at Meydan in March.
He was successful in a subsequent appeal to the British Horseracing Authority not to reciprocate the suspension, with the Professional Jockeys Association critical of the ERA's decision to try to recover costs from the rider.
The PJA wrote to the ERA requesting the withdrawal of the claim but the matter has not been resolved, prompting Cosgrave to be added to the forfeit list, which usually results in disqualification from racing.
Cosgrave has applied to have the rule disregarded, with a BHA hearing set for September 22.
"That sort of money is a lot to pay to go back to work, no matter who you are," said Cosgrave.
"Me, Ryan Moore, Frankie Dettori, it doesn't matter. To have to pay that sort of money to just appeal is madness.
"They reduced my ban by a third, and then expect me to pay for my expenses?
"If anything they should be paying for mine," he added.
"I don't really know what I am going to do.
"I can't afford to pay it at the moment. I don't think they will back down."
The PJA is backing Cosgrave's case and formalising the necessary submissions ahead of the hearing.
PJA chief executive Paul Struthers said: "We did invite the ERA to withdraw the costs, unfortunately without success."