Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Racing

Warrior strikes blow for Meade

Wounded Warrior led home a Gigginstown House Stud-owned one-two in the Woodlands Park 100 Club Novice Chase at Naas.

Noel Meade's six-year-old (3-1) stayed on stoutly under Paul Carberry to convincingly defeat the Mouse Morris-trained Rule The World, who was sent off the 6-4 favourite for the Grade Two contest.

Val De Ferbet made most of the running, but he made a bad mistake four out and eventually gave way, while both the Gigginstown horses were not clever at the second-last, after which Rule The World did not pick up as might have been expected and Carberry was happy to take full advantage.

Meade said: "I think the world of him. Limerick was a disaster as the trip was too short, the ground was terrible and he made mistakes. I knew he was in good nick coming here. He's a huge horse and is going to improve.

"He wants three miles. He still made a couple of mistakes - he was great long, but getting in tight was a problem. I don't know if he'll go to Cheltenham, but I'm sure he'll be entered for the RSA and the four-miler."

Meade and Carberry collected a quick double when Russian Bill powered home late to land the INH Stallion Owners EBF Maiden Hurdle, the 13-8 favourite coming from an unlikely position at the last to beat Goulane Chosen by a length and a quarter.

The trainer said: "He's tough, jumps well and stays well. He probably wants further than that.

"I'd say we'll give him more experience in a novice before thinking about handicaps. You have to make him get there - he's that type."

There was another one-two for Gigginstown in the closing Tipper Road (Pro-Am) INH Flat Race and again it went to the outsider of the pair, the Gordon Elliott-trained Tombstone.

David Mullins arrived full of running on the 10-3 chance and was always doing enough to hold the odds-on Potters Point, who did not find a smooth passage when Patrick Mullins wanted to make his effort.

The winning rider said: "He travelled well, quickened up down the straight, and stayed on all the way to the line. I was very happy with him."


From Belfast Telegraph