Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Anton Peikrishvili sees red as Ospreys open Anglo-Welsh Cup account at Cardiff

Ospreys picked up their first Anglo-Welsh Cup win of the season after thrashing 14-man Cardiff Blues 31-7 at the BT Sport Arms Park.

Blues prop Anton Peikrishvili was shown a red card following an altercation in the second half which turned the game on its head.

Tries from Rhodri Davies, Brendon Leonard, Tom O'Flaherty (two) and Dan Evans ensured Ospreys' bonus-point victory over their Welsh rivals.

Both teams fielded relatively young sides for the Anglo-Welsh Cup clash, many of whom experienced their first real taste of regional rugby.

It was Cardiff who found themselves behind after just two minutes, getting off to the worst possible start.

The Ospreys won their lineout and hooker Scott Otten bullied his way past the Blues' backline to score the game's first try.

The away side defended their lead well in the early stages with young centre Joe Thomas driving his team out of their 22 by beating three Blues players.

Scrum-half Davies, who was making his full Blues debut, broke the Ospreys' defence when he cleverly took a quick tap 20 metres out from a penalty before holding off his men to crash the ball over the line in the 16th minute.

The Ospreys were under the cosh for most of the first half and lost their two influential wingers in Eli Walker and Tom Grabham through injury.

The Ospreys could have gone into the break in front but Ben Jones' kick drifted just wide of the post, leaving the scores level at 7-7 at half-time.

Cardiff started the second half brightly when Dan Fish's smart grubber kick nearly released James Beal, but the crucial bounce of the ball landed in touch.

The turning point in the game came in the 47th minute when Peikrishvili was shown a red card following an altercation on the deck.

And the Ospreys made their man advantage count just two minutes later when Leonard claimed a try in the right-hand corner.

The Ospreys scored again after replacement O'Flaherty used his pace to race through half the pitch to add to the Blues' misery.

The away side got their bonus point when Evans scored after a good passing move in the 76th minute.

And O'Flaherty scored his second try of the game after another fantastic run with two minutes remaining.


From Belfast Telegraph