Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Ballynahinch Glenn reveals input of former Ulster coach


It proved to be a successful weekend for Ballynahinch junior teams as all three recorded convincing wins in the first round of the Crawford Cup with the III's winning at Carrickfergus II 22-3, the IV's 30-13 against Omagh III and the V's a 53-0 success against Ballymena III.

The III's captain Andy Glenn was ruled out with tonsillitis, but he was present to see his team play into the wind in the first-half and contain Carrick to a 3-0 interval advantage.

Glenn said: "We retained the ball and were content to await our turn in the second-half. Robbie Irvine levelled with a penalty and shortly afterwards he intercepted to touch down under the posts and add the conversion."

Hinch were more confident at this stage and they managed two more tries to make sure of victory.

"The try of the afternoon came from my replacement Aaron Samuels and it was a move that former Ulster coach Brian McLaughlin taught us. He called it the zig zag move and we have used it to effect throughout the season," added Glenn. Irvine goaled and former under-19 winger Chris Orr scored the final try.

Omagh held the IV's until half-time 8-8, but three second-half tries steered the home team to victory.

Danny Carson was ever accurate with the boot and he kicked a first-half penalty, while Nicky Jones had a try. "We used the wind after the restart," explained Carson. "I had an early penalty and then hooker Colin Rea scored from a driving maul from his own line out throw.

"After 50 minutes we were down to 13 players when No 8 Lloyd Jones was concussed and Nick McCavery yellow carded," he added. McCavery scored on his return following a cross kick and following good work by William Edgar, Sam Seymour touched down.

Winger Pete McKee had a hat-trick of tries in the V's 53-0 win over Ballymena III.

The opening try involved Phil Orr, Jonny Orr, Frazer Bowsie and Chris Bishop before full-back Andrew Kielty scored. Jonny Napier broke away for the second linking with Stuart Hodges before No 8 Orr touched down.

Bishop then showed his pace for the third and McKee had his first after 25 minutes to make it 26-0. Orr had a second and Bowsie's solo effort through three defenders made it 36-0.

After the restart, further tries followed from McKee (2) and Bowsie, McKelvey having a total of four conversions.

Crawford Cup results: Bangor II 55 Banbridge III 13, Ballyclare III 12 Portadown II 21, Belfast Harlequins III 8 Rainey III 50, CIYMS II 17 Coleraine II 10, Enniskillen II 10 Malone III 23, Limavady II 3 Ballyclare II 37, Lisburn II 31 Dungannon III 5.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph