Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Bath release Alafoti Fa'osiliva after he admits assaulting student

Bath have released Alafoti Fa'osiliva after he walked free from court having knocked a university student unconscious.

The 30-year-old admitted assaulting Nissi Kyeremeh in the SouthGate area of Bath at about 2.30am on February 6.

The student was left with a black eye and swollen face following the attack, with his eye left bloodshot for six weeks.

Fa'osiliva was handed an eight-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months at Bath and Wansdyke Magistrates' Court last Friday.

The court, which ordered him to pay his victim £1,500 in compensation, heard the Samoan back-row player was being supported by Bath.

But in a statement, the club said on Friday: "Bath Rugby can confirm that Alafoti Fa'osiliva has been released from his contract with immediate effect, following his recent guilty plea for assault and consequent suspended custodial sentence."

Fa'osiliva, wearing a club blazer and supported by his wife and friends, bowed his head in the dock as details of the case were read to the court.

Chair of the bench Nicky Stubbs ordered the player, who was suspended by Bath while the case was ongoing, to pay £85 in court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

"We agree that this was an unprovoked attack at night in the city centre," Mr Stubbs told Fa'osiliva, of Mascroft Road in Trowbridge, Wiltshire.

"The victim was unconscious for a short period."

Fa'osiliva was handed a 12-month supervision order, including rehabilitation.

The court heard Mr Kyeremeh saw Fa'osiliva looking upset in the city centre and went to check on him.

Fa'osiliva, who weighs almost 18st, turned round and punched the student in the face with full force - causing him to fall to the floor.

Mr Kyeremeh later told police: "He had no reason to behave in this way. My only action was to check on his welfare."

Photographs shown to the court depicted Mr Kyeremeh with a red and purple swelling to his forehead and eye.

Speaking outside court, the player said: "I want to apologise to my club, to my team, for what happened. I want to say thank you for the support."

Fa'osiliva joined Bath in 2013. He has won 15 caps for Samoa, including making two appearances at last year's World Cup when he lined up against the United States and Scotland.


From Belfast Telegraph