Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Brumbies see off Waratahs

The Brumbies beat the Waratahs 28-23 on Saturday to move top of the Super Rugby Australian Conference.

Nic White scored 18 points for the Brumbies with a try and 13 from the boot with Jesse Mogg and Tevita Kuridrani also touching down.

Michael Hooper and Israel Folau responded with tries for the visitors while Bernard Foley kicked 13 points.

Foley and White exchanged early penalties before the former booted the Waratahs into the lead, but it was the home side who claimed the first try in the 15th minute.

Henry Speight went on a surging run up the centre drawing Waratahs' forwards to him and, when the ball came from the ruck, White was in space to crash over before adding his own conversion.

Four minutes later and the Brumbies were on the board again, with Mogg kicking forward and chasing his own grubber to the line.

Folau was also in hot pursuit and when the two men appeared to touch down together the decision went upstairs to the TMO, who awarded the try.

White slotted another conversion and the Brumbies lead was at 11 before Foley slotted his third penalty of the match.

The lead was back in double figures shortly before the break as White kicked three points of his own from the tee, and the game looked to be out of sight with a third home try in the 54th minute.

Ben Alexander fooled the Waratahs defence with a break and when the ball was recycled close to the line it came out to Kuridrani, who barged over.

White was off target for the first time in the game with the conversion, and when Matt Toomua was sent to the sin bin shortly after, the Waratahs got themselves back in the game.

Hooper crashed over on the short side with Foley adding the extras.

Toomua had barely returned to the fold when Ruan Smith was dismissed, leaving the home side short for the remainder of the game, and once again the visitors took advantage.

Folau beat two men on a storming run to touch down and, when Foley turned five into seven, the gap between the teams was just two points before a late White penalty eased the home nerves.


From Belfast Telegraph