Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Catrakilis kicking boosts Stormers

Fly-half Demetri Catrakilis kicked 14 points as the Stormers defeated the Sharks 29-13 at DHL Newlands on Saturday to go top of the Super Rugby standings.

John-Ben Kotze scored a try and the Stormers were given a late penalty try, with Catrakilis weighing in with four penalties and a conversion before being replaced by Kurt Coleman, who scored twice from the tee.

Patrick Lambie scored all of the Sharks points with a try, conversion and two penalties to his name.

The result means the Stormers are one of two teams to remain unbeaten in this season's competition and they are the only unbeaten team to have played four matches.

It had all started well for the Sharks when Lambie opened the scoring with a penalty in the third minute after Eben Etzebeth played the ball on the ground.

Stormers winger Kotze crossed for the first try of the match in the 18th minute when he confused Lwazi Mvovo and JP Pietersen with a kick upfield then pounced on the loose ball before beating SP Marais and racing away to score under the posts. Catrakilis added the conversion.

Stormers scrum-half Nick Groom was sent to sin bin shortly after for entering a maul from the side close to his side's tryline and Lambie took advantage of the extra man by spotting a gap and racing over to score before converting his own try to give Sharks a 10-7 lead.

Catrakilis kicked two more penalties before the break and another early in the second half to edge Stormers 16-10 ahead.

The Stormers stand-off was again on target in the 49th minute to increase the daylight between the two sides but Lambie cut the gap to six points with another successful penalty kick.

However, the Stormers pulled clear again thanks to a penalty try which was awarded when Sharks scrum-half Jacobus Reinach was adjudged to have played the ball in an offside position to prevent Dillyn Leyds from scoring a try. Coleman, on for Catrakilis, slotted the conversion.

Sharks centre Francois Steyn took an early shower after a late tackle on Cheslin Kolbe saw him earn a yellow card in the 73rd minute, with Coleman compounding the visitors' woes by scoring the resulting penalty.

Louis Schreuder had a try ruled out for the Stormers with two minutes remaining after the television match official ruled he had been offside when Cheslin Kolbe kicked ahead but it did not change the course of the match as the Stormers continued their perfect start to the season.


From Belfast Telegraph