Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Chiefs see off sorry Warriors

Exeter Chiefs ran in six tries, while keeping their own line in tact, to take maximum points and to move up to fifth place in the Aviva Premiership table and leave basement side Worcester Warriors still looking for their first win of the season.

Tries from flanker Ben White and captain Dean Mumm, both converted by fly-half Gareth Steenson, in the opening 10 minutes for Exeter were answered by two penalties from fly-half Ignacio Mieres gave the Chiefs a 14-6 half time lead.

Exeter showed real resolve in the second half with a second try from White plus one each from full back Phil Dollman, lock Damian Welch and replacement scrum half Haydn Thomas. Steenson converted two and his replacement Henry Slade one in the 40-6 victory.

The Chiefs had made three changes to their starting line-up with Brett Sturgess returning at loosehead, Jack Yeandle was at hooker and explosive ball-carrying Tongan international Fetu'u Vainikolo took over on the right wing.

Powerhouse prop Ofa Fainga'anuku made his debut for the Warriors with Argentinian international Agustin Creevy made his first start at hooker and a first Premiership start for fellow Puma Mariano Galarza.

Joining Galarza in the second row was Dean Schofield, skipper Jonathan Thomas moved to number eight with Richard de Carpentier, his first Aviva Premiership start of the season, and Jake Abbott either side.

Scrum-half Jonny Arr made his first start of the season alongside the return of Argentinean half back Mieres, the former Exeter Chiefs player at fly-half, David Lemi returned on the wing and Chris Pennell at full back.

Exeter, playing in to a stiff wind in the first half at Sandy Park, were awarded a series of penalties in the opening five minutes which resulted in White crossing the whitewash and Steenson added the extras.

Warriors hit back immediately through a Mieres penalty but the Chiefs kept the scoreboard ticking over after Dollman linked-up with Steenson to put lock Mumm away on a 40 metre run to score under the posts.

Steenson again added the conversion before the visitors had turned down a couple of opportunities to kick penalties preferring instead to kick for touch before his 22 metre kick from in front of the posts hit the upright.

Midway through the half referee JP Doyle lectured both captains over the number of penalties that he has had to issue. The Warriors began to pin their hosts deep in their own half but unforced errors crept in to the visitors play.

In to the final 10 minutes of the half, with the Warriors continuing to press until the Chiefs centre Jason Shoemark was penalised for going off his feet and Mieres slotted the ball between the upright to reduce the arrears at the break to 14-6.

The Chiefs, who had lost their momentum in the second quarter, started the second half strongly.

Scrum half Dave Lewis gave a long pass out to Steenson who offloaded to wing Matt Jess who cut back inside only to be caught 10 metres out.

But the Chiefs kept pressing and after making a mess of a line out close to the Warriors line.

Scrum half Jonny Arr clearance kick was charged down by White followed up to claim his second try of the game again converted by Steenson.

Blindside flanker Tom Johnson, who had been released from the England training squad in midweek broke from inside his own half to put Dollman away down the right touchline for there Chiefs bonus point try. Steenson converted from outwide.

The Chiefs continued to dominate the play in the final 10 minutes with Kai Horstmann, playing against his former club, giving an overhead pass to lock Damian Welch in the left corner for their fifth try.

Replacement fly-half Henry Slade was unable to convert from outside but then put replacement scrum half Haydn Thomas away for the Chiefs sixth try under the posts before Slade added the extras.


From Belfast Telegraph