Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

CJ Stander's disciplinary hearing adjourned

CJ Stander's disciplinary hearing has been adjourned after five hours and the Ireland flanker will have to wait to learn his fate on Monday morning in Johannesburg.

The Munster captain was shown a red card by French referee Mathieu Raynal after 22 minutes of Saturday's first Test between Ireland and South Africa.

The touring side recovered from the blow to secure a first away win over the Springboks in their history with a 26-20 victory.

Joe Schmidt has expressed his hope the South African-born 26-year-old will escape a ban for the incident in which he followed through on an attempted charge-down and caught out-half Pat Lambie in the head.

The Springbok number 10 was stretchered off and will miss Saturday's second Test with concussion. X-rays revealed no further damage.

It now remains to be seen whether Stander will be made available after Australian official Terry Willis called proceedings to a halt. They will resume at 10am on Monday.

"We'd love to have him available, we're going to find out in the next couple of days what, if any, consequences there are from his attempted charge-down," Schmidt said after Saturday's game.

"So, we'd be delighted to get him back if that's possible. If we don't, this is a 32-man squad, there are 32 players working to try and be selected and it means somebody else will step up and fill the breach.

"I thought the red card was very, very harsh to be honest. CJ's got both hands extended, once you're in the air you can't change your trajectory.

"The one thing I would say, I think Pat Lambie's a super player, I certainly hope that Pat's OK. I know CJ and Pat are friends, and that they know each other.

"CJ was upset that Pat was hurt as much as he was upset that he had to leave the field. It's one of those thing that happens. I think, sometimes, when there is an injury like that, the consequence is that a card comes out and that was the result."


From Belfast Telegraph