Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby Club Rugby

Bangor on rise after turning tables


By Michael Sadlier

Though the weather tended to have an input into how things unfolded, only one side from Ulster's eight clubs across the second divisions came away with a loss.

Rugby round up Newsletter

Game previews, plus expert insights and exclusive commentary from the Belfast Telegraph sports team.

In 2C, Bangor's home victory over league leaders Enniscorthy was the most high-profile result from the conclusion of the back-to-back rounds.

Back in mid-December, Bangor had been swept aside down in Co Wexford so to see them off 15-14 at Upritchard Park was a huge outcome for Tom Rock's squad and their bid to vacate their continuing presence in the relegation zone.

It came down to the wire as well with Bangor's 15-6 lead, Conor Scallon's first-half try putting them there, being nibbled at in a low-scoring second half until the visitors managed a try in injury time which gave them a kick to snatch the game.

It was missed and Bangor rightly celebrated only their fourth win in 10 games and a second successive home victory too after beating Omagh at the start of December when they also triumphed by a mere point.

As for the table, Bangor rose just one place to eighth but are on equal points (19) with seventh-placed City of Derry and Bruff, who are in ninth.

With just seven points separating Omagh (21), who are mid-table in fifth, from Midleton (14), the side propping everyone up, the lower end of the 2C table is looking pretty tense.

Indeed, Omagh were the only Ulster club to lose as they went down 19-7 at Sundays Well.

A try from Matty Eccles, which was converted by Kyle Beattie, was all the Accies managed in an opening half where all the game's points were registered.

The Accies, who drew with Sundays Well at Omagh in the previous round, slipped one place in the table to fifth and, more worryingly, have not managed a win from their last four.

As with Bangor, City of Derry turned the tables on their opponents, bottom team Midleton, and beat the visitors 10-6 to move up to seventh.

In 2A, Rainey Old Boys and Ballymena played out a 16-16 draw at a weather-hit Eaton Park which was quite a turnaround after the Magherafelt team had won the previous round by 21-0.

Rodger McBurney's converted try had put the Braidmen 13-8 up at the break and the score stood at 16-11 when Tommy O'Hagan crossed the line for Rainey to tie the scores, which is how it remained as the conversion was missed.

The shared spoils ensured Rainey clung on to second, but Ballymena are now eighth.

Queen's University did the double over basement side Nenagh, winning 24-8 at the Munster club and claiming a bonus point to move into fourth.

Johnny Hunter, Stuart Martin, Ben Power and Alexander Clarke all scored for Queen's.

Fellow strugglers Belfast Harlequins and Dungannon drew 17-17 at Stevenson Park in their 2B Ulster derby, where Canada international and former Ulster player Peter Nelson togged out and scored for the home side.

Tom Morris and James Bovill got tries for Quins, who are in eighth, and the same number of points ahead of Gannon in ninth.

2A: Nenagh 8 Queen's University 24, Ballymena 16 Rainey Old Boys 16.

2B: Dungannon 17 Belfast Harlequins 17.

2C: Bangor 15 Enniscorthy 14, City of Derry 10 Midleton 6, Sunday's Well 19 Omagh 7.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph