Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby Club Rugby

Late drop goal sends Ballynahinch II through

By Ronnie Ingram

A drop goal in the final two minutes gave Ballynahinch II a narrow 22-19 Millar McCall Wylie Junior Cup victory over Instonians at Ballymacarn Park.

The holders had again been living dangerously as it took two late tries to eliminate Larne 32-28 in the first round.

Hinch captain Ian Dornan realised that his pack was under pressure from the bigger Inst forwards. "At times our line-outs didn't function as I would have liked but when we had possession our backs looked much more ­dangerous than theirs," he said.

"It was a super game with a lot of physicality - a typical hard fought Junior game of rugby. We opened up a lead but Inst clawed it back in that the score was 19-19 with a few minutes remaining.

"With a scrum inside their '22' our out-half James McBriar gave the instructions that after the second phase the ball should be passed back to him.

"That was precisely what happened and he accurately dropped the deciding goal."

Enniskillen were well beaten by Carrickfergus 33-3 a couple of weeks ago so it was a surprise that the Fermanagh side came out 14-8 victors on Saturday.

Clogher Valley, meanwhile, are going through a rough spell. They lost to Ballynahinch II 85-0 last week then lost 74-10 to Coleraine.

Elsewhere, Portadown recorded their first win of the season at home to Ards 20-0 and second strings of AIL teams, Armagh, Ballynahinch, Banbridge and Malone all managed to qualify for the last eight.

Results: Ballyclare 34 Armagh II 40, Ballynahinch II 22 Instonians 19, Clogher Valley 10 Coleraine 74, Cooke 15 Banbridge II 27, Limavady 17 Ballymoney 36, Malone II 24 Grosvenor 19, Portadown 20 Ards 0, Enniskillen 14 Carrickfergus 8

• Ulster's hopes of winning the Girls' Inter-Provincial title were virtually obliterated after Leinster's bonus point 22-5 victory in North Kildare. Should they beat League leaders Munster in their final game on Saturday, they would still need Connacht to defeat Leinster.

Ulster started strongly against Leinster with Ellie Ingram showing her pace to set up her team's one and only score after 15 minutes. As the game progressed the home team won more possession and quick handling stretched the Ulster defence. Leinster were 10-5 in front at the interval.

The trend continued after the restart with the Ulster defence being pulled all over.

Leinster managed two more tries despite the gallant efforts of the formidable Ulster back row.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph