Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Dai Young accepts Wasps were far from their buzzing best against Newcastle

Wasps director of rugby Dai Young conceded his side were nowhere near their best despite picking up a 31-6 bonus-point Aviva Premiership win against Newcastle.

The hosts struggled to quell a spirited Falcons side and it was not until they scored two late converted tries that they were assured of a 14th consecutive victory at the Ricoh Arena.

Young said: "It was a bit of a tired and flat performance and the scoreline flattered us. We didn't show much control today and were fortunate to get a bonus-point win.

"However I never thought we were going to lose the game but it could have gone to the wire.

"We've had a lot of big games lately and some of our players badly need next week off to recharge their batteries."

Young was indebted to Jimmy Gopperth for his crucial contribution to the win as the player emphasised his versatility by appearing in three positions during the course of the game.

Gopperth scored two tries, converted four and added a penalty for a match tally of 21 points. Frank Halai's effort and a penalty try completed the scoring for Wasps.

Young added: "Jimmy is worth his weight in gold as he is totally comfortable wherever he plays and makes my job a lot easier."

Young was also full of praise for skipper Joe Launchbury who was voted man of the match.

Young said: "I thought the media's choice was right for a change as Joe was outstanding as he always comes up with big moments in the game.

"He's coming into form at the right time and with injuries to the squad there's a real opportunity for him to get his England jersey back."

One of few drawbacks for Wasps was the loss of prop Marty Moore, who was who stretchered off in the first half causing the game to be delayed for 13 minutes.

Young continued: "He experienced neck pain and has gone to hospital. There are no symptoms in his arms and legs and one can't be too careful in these situations but hopefully there is no real damage."

For large parts of the game Newcastle matched their opponents but they lacked an attacking spark and had to rely on two penalties from Mike Delany for their points.

The turning point came in the 17th minute when Simon Hammersley was yellow-carded for a deliberate knock-on and, in the full-back's absence, Wasps took control.

Newcastle boss Dean Richards said: "It was another questionable TMO decision for I spoke to Simon at half-time and he said that he just went for the tackle and therefore it's a little bit disappointing.

"The scoreline doesn't reflect the effort we put in as our defence was outstanding to make it a difficult game for them.

"We created as many chances as they did but we didn't take them and a little bit more accuracy would have made a big difference."


From Belfast Telegraph