Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Derry are taught a real lesson by ruthless Students

Queen's ran riot against City of Derry at Judge's Road in the All-Ireland League 2 North on Sunday as the Students crossed for nine tries, winning 59-5.

Queen's head coach Simon Fitzgerald was content with his side's performance but still feels there are areas to improve upon before the season's end.

"It was a good performance because Derry were a much improved outfit from the one we played at the Dub earlier in the year and it's always harder playing a team up at their ground," he said.

"There were a few things that we still need to work really hard on because there's two big sides in this league, ourselves and Cooke, and we need to be ready for them."

The Belfast pair meet at the end of this month in the final game of the season and Fitzgerald continued: "We beat them 14-12 at Shaw's Bridge earlier in the year but we did that last year and they beat us at our own patch so we owe them a good performance."

There were only four minutes on the clock when Queen's took the lead and it came from a well worked back line move that sent No 8 Gemma McCutcheon over.

Fly-half Erin Caughey then added the conversion.

Still inside the first 10 minutes, the forwards created another try when McCutcheon and captain Claire McLaughlin advanced the ball and hooker Julie Mullan's good support line was rewarded with a score.

As the first quarter came to an end, more quick hands from Queen's moved the ball along the line and Danni Boyd cantered home with the conversion making it 21-0.

Despite losing prop Chaz Rodgers to injury, City of Derry mounted a response when Ulster squad members Lizzie Ballentine and Julie Simpson combined to score an unconverted try.

Queen's, however, managed to secure their bonus point score before the turn when Peita McAllister finished off a fine move and Caughey added the conversion.

Despite the four scores, City of Derry's defensive line speed had been relatively strong, forcing Queen's into handling errors.

In the second half, however, they could not replicate the style and, despite a number of substitutions, the league leaders were able to cross the whitewash a further five times.

A forward's try off the back of a rolling maul provided the first score of the second half and it was not long before Emma Lorimer was streaking up the wing to add another.

Substitute Jemma Jackson ran around the City of Derry defence to score and both Caughey and Katie Lemon did likewise before the final whistle.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph