Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Derry make heavy work of last eight win

By Ronnie Ingram

City of Derry qualified for the semi-finals of the First Trust Senior Cup with a 7-3 victory over Dungannon but considering their dominance in the second half the winning margin should have been much greater.

They will be joined by Queen's, Ballynahinch and Banbridge in the semi-final draw to be made at Ravenhill tomorrow afternoon.

Derry were unable to repeat last week's 76-0 victory and, in fact, only took the lead after 65 minutes.

This was a much better performance from the home side which included a number of more experienced players including their president Paul Magee who was making his first appearance of the season in the centre.

They took the lead after five minutes with a Chris Henderson penalty but gradually Derry took control.

Winger Josh Lewis, who scored four last week, was sent down the blind side for the only try which Neil Burns converted.

Derry CMO Moss Dineen said: "We should have been more subtle and adapted better in the constant rain and wind in the second period. We became involved in a very physical game and if we had changed our tactics we could have won by 30 points."

Hinch needed a late try to overcome Malone 26-24 in a highly charged encounter at Ballymacarn Park. Hinch were 15-13 ahead at the interval but Malone fought back for a 24-18 advantage with 10 minutes remaining.

Davy Nicolson (2) and Ross Adair had the home tries for Ritchie Lobb to goal one and kick three penalties.

The visitors had Taylor Acheson, Ben Alexander and Adam Liddell scores while Mark Gribben had two penalties and Liddell one.

Banbridge defeated Instonians 38-15. Bann's Adam Doherty kicked a penalty and converted all of the tries from Johnny Graham, Matt Irvine, Andrew Morrison, Simon McKinstry and Andy Hyde.

Inst's latest addition Ryan Aperehana had a try, a penalty and a conversion, while Adam McCarthy scored their second try.

Queen's ran in nine tries to beat Ards 61-11. Ritchie McMaster had a try and eight conversions, as Damon Hall (2), Paddy Farrell, Andrew Clinghan, Owen Devlin, Robert Whitten, Grant Bartley and Paddy Pringle also scored. Paul Cox kicked two penalties, while Trevor Devlin scored the visitors' try.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph