Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Dismal run continues for Western Force

The Western Force's poor start to the Super 15 season continued as TJ Perenara's hat-trick in his first start lifted the Hurricanes to a convincing 46-19 win at nib Stadium.

Nineteen-year-old half-back Perenara, who had only come off the bench before, scored two tries before half-time and added another after the break while Andre Taylor, Jason Eaton and Charlie Ngatai each scored one to help Wellington earn the bonus point.

The impressive Hurricanes had to withstand pressure as the Perth-based team dominated possession and territory, but capitalised on limited opportunities by scoring two tries just before the break and another just after before running away with their second win from three games.

Matt Hodgson scored the only try for the Force, while James Stannard hit four penalty goals and a conversion for a side which also lost outside backs Nick Cummins and Napolioni Nalaga to apparent injuries in veteran Nathan Sharpe's 150th game.

Beauden Barrett and Daniel Kirkpatrick combined to score two penalties and five conversions for the New Zealand side in the oppressive Perth heat.

The visitors were 10-0 up within 10 minutes thanks to a Barrett penalty and a Taylor line break soon after, which set up Perenara for his first try when the ball found him as he followed up the run.

The Force threatened without reward until they finally made it onto the scoreboard in the 19th minute thanks to Hodgson's try, while they were back level when Stannard booted a penalty goal seven minutes short of half-time.

Wellington struggled to build phases but they were able to score another quick try on the eve of half-time when Perenara again followed up an initial effort and forced his way over the line, while Taylor's 60 metre counter-attacking run two minutes later score him score in the corner for a 22-10 half-time lead.

The Force cut the deficit shortly after the break through a penalty goal but they were caught on the break once again when the 'Canes threw men forward and the ball popped up for Perenara's third.

Two penalty goals got the home side back within two converted tries with 20 minutes left but the Hurricanes put the icing on the cake with late five-pointers to Eaton and Ngatai.


From Belfast Telegraph