Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Dungannon too strong for Buccaneers

By Ciaran Donaghy

Dungannon were the only Ulster club to get a win in Division 1B as they took maximum points from their clash with Buccaneers.

Ballymena went down at Young Munster while Ballynahinch remain rooted to the bottom of the table after a home defeat against UCC.

Dungannon made it three wins from three outings at Stevenson Park and earned a valuable bonus point against the Connacht side.

The win moves Gannon into third place at the top of the division, three points behind leaders Old Belvedere.

The visitors took an early lead but Gannon hit back when Chris Gilroy finished off a sweeping move that started from a lineout.

Ulster hooker Nigel Brady got the Co Tyrone side’s second try following good work from Chris Cochrane and Ali Birch while John McGuckin added a penalty to give Gannon a 13-3 half time lead.

Scrum half David Spence released James Shiells to cross for the third try and Gannon made their dominance count with a fourth try from Stuart McKenzie.

Ballymena lost their third game of the campaign, going down 16-3 to Young Munster — the side the Braidmen had beaten last week in the AIB Cup.

The Munster men had provincial scrum half Toby Morland in their ranks and he made the first try for Ray Moloney.

A penalty each from Moloney and Matt Costello extended the home side’s lead before Davy O’Hara got Ballymena’s only points with a penalty to cut the half time lead to 11-3.

Shane Hassett’s try late on sealed Ballymena’s feat.

Hinch are finding the going a lot tougher this year and despite an encouraging start they fell to a fourth defeat in five outings with UCC winning 15-6 at Ballymacarn Park.

Malone got their first win of the season as they ripped up the form book to inflict a first defeat on Thomond.

Jarleth Carey’s men were made to fight hard but the 10-5 win at Gibson Park lifts them up to 12th place in Division Two.

The winning score came from a penalty try with Horner converting.

Belfast Harlequins slipped to a second consecutive defeat to fall to fifth in the league as they lost to Bruff 14-10 at Deramore.

Queen’s kept their rich vein of form up with a bonus point victory over Navan at the Dub to move into second place in Division Three.

The students face a huge game on Saturday when they travel to Cork Con for the quarter-finals of the AIB Cup and warmed up with a routine 38-7 win, which included six tries to move to within a point of Midleton at the top of the table.

The game was virtually over in the first quarter as Queen’s ran in three tries.

Centre Jonny Shiels opened the scoring, scrum half Ian Porter went over for a second and his half back partner Michael Pyper added a third.

Porter kicked two conversions to give Queen’s a 19-0 lead at the interval. Lock Michael Ferguson wrapped up the bonus point with a fourth try after the restart, Shiels and Ferguson added further tries before the Leinster side got a late consolation.

Instonians lost their first game of the campaign as they went down to leaders Midleton 21-7 at Shaw’s Bridge.

Clem Boyd’s side had plenty of chances but couldn’t make them count and were punished by the Munster side who remain unbeaten for five games.

The visitors led 21-0 at the break with hooker David Lee scoring two tries and Geoff Hutchinson grabbed the third.

Inst stuck to their task and Richard Fegan went over for a converted try near the end.

Rainey enjoyed a great day at Hatrick Park with a 38-6 bonus point win over Connemara to climb to 10th in the table.

Ards won the Ulster derby at Hamilton Park with a 16-9 win over Portadown.

Banbridge went down to Nenagh but secured a losing bonus point in the 28-22 defeat.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph