Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Easy for Edinburgh

Edinburgh scored their third successive win, this time with the bonus point, following their European Challenge Cup successes, to set themselves up nicely for the ever-anticipated back-to-back derby matches with Glasgow.

For limited Treviso, who had flanker Romulo Acosta red carded for punching midway through the second half, this 48-0 reverse was their 17th successive defeat and their 22nd away from home - and they remain isolated at the foot of the Guinness PRO12 table.

Edinburgh - who dominated the tight play apart from a couple of line-out blips - scored six tries, all converted by Sam Hidalgo-Clyne. He also goaled two penalties - but Edinburgh's performance was more steady than outstanding,.

Hidalgo-Clyne touched down within a minute of the kick-off and Mike Coman ended a line-out drive in the 25th minute - with Hidalgo-Clyne converting both and kicking a penalty.

In the second half, replacement prop WP Nel twice went over from close range and the other tries fell to Grayson Hart and David Denton.

Edinburgh made the perfect start, crossing the whitewash within a minute of the start.

Full-back Jack Cuthbert fielded the clearing kick from Joe Carlisle and proceeded to twice exchange passes with his stand off Greig Tonks who, in turn, put scrum-half Hidalgo-Clyne over from around 15 metres, with the scorer then kicking the conversion.

Edinburgh got trapped in their 22 from the restart until, in a glimpse of things to come, at the first scrum of the night Treviso were penalised.

In the 15th minute Treviso gave away a penalty at their first scrum put in, and Hidalgo-Clyne, who had just missed a penalty chance, drove it home.

Tonks brought some order to Edinburgh by kicking to the corner where, after a penalty award for a high tackle, Edinburgh lost the line- out.

However Edinburgh immediately made good, winning one on the opposite side of the field and driving in unison for 15 metres, with captain Coman credited with the try that Hidalgo-Clyne converted.

As the half closed a crazy kick-out on the full by prop John Andress allowed Treviso to close the half anchored on the home 22 - but displayed no penetration. Edinburgh kept them well at bay to go in at the interval leading 17-0.

A drive from Edinburgh number eight Denton, back in the side after injury, brought a penalty that Hidalgo-Clyne kicked in the 48th minute.

The penalty count against the Italians continued to mount and in the 55th minute referee David Wilkinson showed a yellow card to flanker Francesco Minto.

Edinburgh soon made good with replacement prop Nel driving over to register his 12th try in the club's colours.

Two minutes later the bonus point try came along courtesy of scrum-half Hart, with Hidalgo-Clyne again adding the afters.

Almost immediately - and out of the blue - a mass brawl broke out. When the dust settled and the video evidence had been viewed Treviso flanker Acosta was red carded for punching Fraser McKenzie while on the ground, and Edinburgh's Hart got a yellow for getting involved.

In the 70th minute Nel grabbed his second close-in try of the night, again converted by Hidalgo-Clyne before Denton closed the game with a try, converted from touch by Hidalgo-Clyne.


From Belfast Telegraph