Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Edinburgh continue winning form against Dragons

Edinburgh extended their winning run in all competitions to three matches with a victory over Newport Gwent Dragons that was as convincing as the 32-13 scoreline suggests.

Edinburgh's points came from tries by Willem Nel, Alasdair Dickinson, Tom Brown and Matt Scott as they brought to an end a three-match losing streak in the Guinness PRO12. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne booted 10 points and Blair Kinghorn added two.

The Dragons could have few complaints over the outcome, having contributed to their own downfall with a loss of discipline that led to four players being sent to the sin bin.

The visitors had only a pair of Dorian Jones penalties to show for their efforts until Nic Cudd scored and converted a late try.

The hosts started well and earned the reward for their early supremacy when Hidalgo-Clyne banged over a penalty in the sixth minute.

Jones squared matters nine minutes later after Dragons with a penalty from a similar distance after Edinburgh were adjudged to have pushed early at the scrum.

Edinburgh regained the initiative in the 19th minute when Greig Tonks thumped a penalty into touch and from the ensuing lineout, second-phase ball enabled prop Nel to hammer his way over for the try. Hidalgo-Clyne added the extra two points then extended the home side's advantage with another penalty.

The Dragons trimmed the deficit when Jones booted his second penalty. The proved to be the final score of the half after Nel appeared to have bagged a second touchdown in the dying seconds but had the score chalked off for a double movement.

Edinburgh restarted well and they found themselves with a one-man advantage when Dragons prop Boris Stankovich was yellow-carded after the referee lost patience as the penalty count continued to mount.

Stankovich was joined in the sin bin by replacement prop Philip Price as the Dragons scrum crumbled under relentless pressure from the Edinburgh front row.

Edinburgh eventually made their additional manpower tell when John Hardie freed Dickinson to touch down in the corner. Hidalgo-Clyne again converted and he posted his first miss after Tom Brown had touched down wide on the right for Edinburgh's third try.

That score set the home side chasing their first four-try bonus of the season and it came with three minutes to spare when Scott blasted through some weak tackling. Kinghorn added the extras to complete Edinburgh's points tally.

In the dying seconds, Cudd - who had been the last of the four Dragons men to visit the sin bin, Jones having preceded him by 10 minutes - squeezed over then kicked the conversion to add some respectability on an otherwise dismal night for the Dragons.


From Belfast Telegraph