| 19.1°C Belfast

Edinburgh continue winning start with victory over Ospreys


Greig Tonks' kicking helped Edinburgh overcome Ospreys

Greig Tonks' kicking helped Edinburgh overcome Ospreys

Greig Tonks' kicking helped Edinburgh overcome Ospreys

Edinburgh's flying start to the season continued with a hard-fought 20-9 Guinness PRO12 victory over Ospreys, making it the first time they have won their opening three games since 2009.

Ospreys led 9-7 at the break thanks to three Sam Davies penalties but Edinburgh, whose first-half scoring came from Phil Burleigh's converted try, hit back after the interval with 13 unanswered points to take the spoils at BT Murrayfield.

Two Greig Tonks penalties put the hosts in front before John Andress crossed for their second try with seven minutes to go following a driven line-out to seal the victory.

At the unusual start time of 6.00pm winless Ospreys kicked off in idyllic conditions, and it o nly took the Welsh region five minutes to take the lead. A penalty from wide out hit a post and Edinburgh messed up their clearance so Ospreys gained a much easier chance, which was struck home by fly-half Davies.

Davies added another, much longer effort, in the 17th minute following an Edinburgh scrum offence to make it 6-0.

In a dull encounter Edinburgh had hardly been in the Ospreys' 22 until full-back Tonks pushed them to its edge with a penalty in the 29th minute.

Edinburgh then remained deep in Ospreys territory until stand-off Burleigh glided in for his try nine minutes later. In between referee Andrew Brace had awarded five penalties to Edinburgh and sent Ospreys loosehead prop Nicky Smith to the sin-bin.

Tonks kicked a good conversion to put Edinburgh 7-6 ahead, but there was time for a third Davies penalty so Ospreys went in at the interval leading by two points.

Edinburgh, though, regained the lead with a penalty from Tonks eight minutes after the restart, and never relinquished it after that.

Soon after they gained another in kickable range, after the first free-flowing rugby of the evening, but chose to go for touch and made nothing of the chance.

However, when the next award arrived, with Ospreys sub Olly Cracknell dispatched to the sin-bin for obstruction, Tonks struck it home.

Edinburgh dominated the closing stages but messed up a scoring chance as Andries Strauss failed to hold the ball as he dived over the line.

But with four minutes left yet another penalty, line-out, drive sequence ended with the pack going over by the Ospreys posts with Andress touching down and substitute Jack Cuthbert converting.

Rugby Round Up Newsletter

Exclusives and expert analysis from the sports team straight to your inbox

This field is required

In a fortnight Edinburgh are again at home to face Ulster while Ospreys travel to face Treviso still looking for a first win.

Top Videos