Toulon prop forward punished after mauling Leicester Tigers
Toulon's former Leicester prop Martin Castrogiovanni has received a suspended four-match ban after he admitted a misconduct complaint, European Professional Club Rugby has announced.
Castrogiovanni has also been ordered to pay 10,000 euros to charity in Leicester following his post-match comments aimed at the Premiership club and their rugby director Richard Cockerill after Toulon's 25-21 European Champions Cup defeat against the Tigers earlier this month.
The Italy international appeared before an independent disciplinary committee in London. His ban is suspended until April 30, 2016, and will be activated "in the event of any off-field misconduct complaint being successfully brought against him", EPCR said.
A misconduct complaint charge was lodged against 33-year-old Castrogiovanni, who has won 107 Test caps, following a bizarre post-match episode at Welford Road on December 7.
He sought out English journalists in the Leicester press room and then launched an expletive-laden outburst at Cockerill and the Tigers over his perception of the way he left the Aviva Premiership club in 2013.
His six-minute tirade included nine mentions of the f-word and two of the c-word.
In a statement, EPCR said: "The misconduct complaint was that after the match Castrogiovanni made a number of comments to the media in which he attacked, disparaged, criticised, damaged and/or brought into disrepute Leicester Tigers, the club's director of rugby, Richard Cockerill, EPCR, the Champions Cup and the sport of rugby union."