Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Five Great Games

With the next, and perhaps last, edition of the Heineken Cup set to get under way, Press Association Sport looks back at some classic encounters from the tournament's history.

Northampton 22 Leinster 33, 2010-11 final, Millennium Stadium, Saturday, May 21, 2011

Leinster had been favourites heading into the Cardiff final, but appeared to be sinking without trace as tries from Phil Dowson, Ben Foden and Dylan Hartley gave Saints a 22-6 half-time lead. But Leinster, inspired by Jonathan Sexton, fought back as the fly-half crossed for two tries with Nathan Hines sealing an incredible win.

Munster 33 Gloucester 6, 2002-03 pool stage, Thomond Park, Saturday, January 18, 2003

If ever a game summed up Munster's love affair with the Heineken Cup, this was it. The Irish province had to score four tries and beat Gloucester by 27 points to reach the last eight, and they achieved the impossible as Ronan O'Gara converted wing John Kelly's second try, following scores from Mossie Lawlor and Mick O'Driscoll, to put the seal on 'The Miracle Match'.

Stade Francais 30 Leicester 34, 2000-01 final, Parc des Princes, Saturday, May 19, 2001

Despite Leicester tries from Leon Lloyd and Neil Back, Stade looked to have secured the trophy when Diego Dominguez, who booted all the French side's points, struck a drop goal to put them 30-27 up with only a few minutes to play. However, a magical break from Austin Healey freed Lloyd for his second try, with Tim Stimpson's conversion securing victory.

Cardiff Blues 26 Leicester 26 (Leicester win 7-6 in penalty shootout), 2008-09 semi-final, Millennium Stadium, Sunday, May 3, 2009.

Leicester had appeared to be on their way to a comfortable win thanks to tries from Scott Hamilton and Geordan Murphy, until two tries in two minutes from Jamie Roberts and Tom James forced extra-time and then the competition's first penalty shootout. The sides cancelled each other out until Blues flanker Martyn Williams screwed his effort wide and Jordan Crane hit the target to send the Tigers through.

London Wasps 27 Toulouse 20, 2003-04 final, Twickenham, Sunday, May 23, 2004

The most dramatic of denouements to a major rugby final probably still gives Toulouse full-back Clement Poitrenaud nightmares. The two sides were locked at 20-all after an absorbing final. With the final seconds ebbing away Wasps scrum-half Rob Howley grubbered into the Toulouse 22 near the touchline. Poitrenaud was under no pressure but, as he inexplicably waited and waited for the ball to run dead, Howley continued to chase and beat the Frenchman to the touchdown to give Wasps a famous win.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph