Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Four wins in a row for Force

Jayden Hayward's 78th-minute try earned Western Force their fourth Super 15 victory in a row as they edged out the Reds 32-29 in Brisbane.

Hayward's try, which he converted himself, was the Force's third of the match as they thrillingly clinched the win after the match had swung one way and then the other.

Four penalties from Sias Ebersohn, who finished the match with 15 points, gave the Force the early advantage, but, with Angus Cottrell in the sin bin, the Reds roared back through converted tries from Ben Tapuai and James Slipper.

But Ben McCalman crossed for the Force before the break and Luke Morahan did so after it, but four Mike Harris penalties ensured the Reds led late on before Hayward's contribution.

Quade Cooper still h ad the chance to level the match with a drop goal attempt at the death, but his kick went wide of the posts.

The Force steadily built up an early lead, Ebersohn on target four times with penalties to put the visitors 12-0 up after 20 minutes.

Cottrell's yellow card in the 23rd minute let the Reds back in, though, and a minute later Tapuai rounded off a move by touching down. Cooper added the extras.

After 32 minutes the overlapping Slipper crossed for a second try, Cooper's conversion putting the Reds 14-12 in front. The hosts had run in 14 points in the absence of Cottrell.

And his return paid immediate dividends, the Force stretching the Reds defence through 16 phases and McCalman finishing the move off with a try.

Ebersohn missed the conversion and Cooper's penalty on the hooter made it 17-17 at the break.

Harris' penalty nudged the Reds in front early in the second half, but the Force responded as they went wide from a scrum and Morahan crossed to score. Hayward missed the conversion.

Harris struck three more penalties, with Ebersohn replying with a drop goal, to put the Reds 29-25 ahead with only minutes remaining.

But the Force came back again and Hayward powered through the tackles to claim the decisive score, adding the extras himself.

And Cooper's missed drop goal attempt on the hooter ended the Reds' hopes.


From Belfast Telegraph