Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Frustrating draw at Murrayfield

Edinburgh and Scarlets had to share the points from what was ultimately a more disappointing 20-20 draw for the Welsh team, who dominated the first half at Murrayfield.

But after last week's disastrous visit to Ospreys, Edinburgh probably see the result as a corner-turner.

In the first half Scarlets scored tries through Harry Robinson and Liam Williams - both converted by Rhys Priestland, who also added a penalty.

Edinburgh, who had been on the back foot after conceding the opening try in less than one minute, scored a try through Tim Visser which was converted by Tom Heathcote, who kicked an early penalty.

In a more balanced second half, Priestland and Heathcote exchanged penalties before replacement Edinburgh centre Phil Burleigh grabbed a try.

It was converted by Heathcote who could not win the game with a penalty from a foot inside the Scarlets' half.

The news from the Welsh camp before kick-off was that, due to illness, tight head prop Rhodri Jones had withdrawn.

So Samson Lee - in the squad as his five-match suspension for headbutting during Wales' summer tour of South Africa had expired - started with Peter Edwards taking his place on the bench.

Looking to put last week's disaster behind them Edinburgh made the worst possible start by conceding a try before 50 seconds had elapsed.

Scarlets moved the ball through the hands for outside centre Gareth Owen to put a well-weighted kick to the right corner flag, where winger Robinson got the better of Edinburgh's Heathcote for the touchdown, confirmed by TV evidence and converted by Priestland.

This was a new record for the quickest try of the season, after Edinburgh had allowed Rhys Webb to touch down in 71 seconds last weekend for the previous one.

In the eighth and then in the 11th minute Heathcote and Priestland exchanged penalties and, when in the 14th minute Edinburgh were awarded another, the decision was to kick to the corner.

Ross Ford's throw was seized by Jake Ball and, when a flare up followed, Edinburgh number eight Cornell Du Preez was sent to the sin bin by referee John Lacey.

Tremendous Edinburgh defence over the next 10 minutes, with outstanding contributions from Sam Beard and Ford, kept the Scarlets at bay.

The quick-thinking visiting scrum half Aled Davies soon took a quick tap penalty 30 metres out to be supported by full back Williams, who touched down under the crossbar for Priestland to convert.

Edinburgh had hardly been in the Scarlets' 22 but, in the 35th minute, after centre Beard had broken a tackle, they attacked in force with a looped pass from Heathcote, allowing Visser to score out wide from where Heathcote converted.

There was still time for Edinburgh to concede a silly penalty but Priestland hit an upright, so Scarlets went in at the break with a deserved lead of 17-10.

The second half also began badly for Edinburgh. They lost two line-outs in their own 22, saw tight head prop John Andress sent to the sin bin and, in the 44th minute, Priestland kicked his second penalty.

However, in the 50th minute, Heathcote narrowed the gap with his second penalty.

Scarlets had lost some of their zip by this stage and the game settled largely in midfield as the Edinburgh line out continued to misfire.

The pendulum swung Edinburgh's way in the 72 minute.

With John Barclay sent to the sin bin, a driven line-out saw the ball released to Burleigh, who barged over. Heathcote's conversion tied the scores.


From Belfast Telegraph