Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Gloucester head coach Laurie Fisher steps down

Laurie Fisher has left his role as Gloucester head coach - 48 hours after he tweeted it was "time to make room for someone else".

Fisher took to social media following Gloucester's 30-27 Aviva Premiership defeat against Harlequins on Saturday.

The London club scored 15 unanswered points during the closing eight minutes and claimed a dramatic victory at Kingsholm.

Fisher tweeted: "Unbelievable capitulation. Clearly not good enough. My responsibility. Time to make room for someone else."

And in a statement released on Monday night, Gloucester said Australian Fisher had departed the club with immediate effect.

" Fisher met with club officials over the past 48 hours, and it was mutually agreed that he would leave his position," Gloucester's statement read.

"Gloucester Rugby would like to place on record its thanks for Laurie's hard work and commitment during his time at the club, and would like to wish him well in his future endeavours.

"The club will be making no further comment on the matter."

Fisher joined Gloucester from Australian Super Rugby franchise the Brumbies in July 2014, and despite a frustrating domestic season, Gloucester beat Edinburgh to lift the European Challenge Cup in May 2015.

The current campaign has again seen Gloucester impress in the Challenge Cup, with a quarter-final tie against Cardiff Blues looming early next month.

But their Premiership form has proved well below par, with Gloucester currently standing ninth in the table after winning only five of 17 league games.

Gloucester are currently nine points off sixth place with just five games left, meaning their hopes of European Champions Cup qualification for next term have almost been extinguished.

They tackle Bristol at Ashton when the Premiership resumes later this month, before facing league appointments with Newcastle, Sale Sharks, Bath and Exeter.

Gloucester prop John Afoa, meanwhile, will face a disciplinary hearing after being charged with a dangerous tackle on Quins fly-half Tim Swiel.

Afoa is alleged to have made a dangerous tackle on Swiel in the first half of Saturday's clash.

"John Afoa of Gloucester Rugby will appear before an RFU disciplinary panel charged with dangerous tackling," read a Rugby Football Union statement.

"Afoa is alleged to have dangerously tackled Tim Swiel of Harlequins in the Aviva Premiership match between Gloucester and Harlequins on Saturday, March 4 and was subsequently cited. The incident occurred in the first half of the match.

"The prop will appear before a three-person RFU disciplinary panel chaired by Gareth Graham in Bristol on Tuesday, March 7 at 6:30pm."


From Belfast Telegraph