Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Harlequins snatch result with late Adams score

By Ronnie Ingram

Two tries in the final two minutes allowed Belfast Harlequins to snatch a 15-14 win over City of Derry in the Ulster Senior League in the wind and rain at Deramore on Saturday.

Both are now virtually out of the title chase having lost on three occasions while Ballymena (26 points) and Ballynahinch (25) are the top two following bonus point victories over Ards 50-0 and Rainey 24-15 respectively.

Both Quins and Derry had made enforced changes for this encounter and the first quarter was marred by handling errors and mistakes in the conditions.

It took a long time for both teams to adapt and it was the home team that went in front after 25 minutes with a penalty from Liam Cambridge. This spurred Derry into action and they took play to the other end.

The pressure told with a well executed try following pressure on the home line.

Richard Baird picked up from the base of a scrum five metres out and following a couple of rucks he linked with scrum-half Jack Caithness who again found Baird for back row forward to crash over for Neil Burns to convert.

Derry were again on top after the restart and made it 14-3. But the situation was to change towards the close as Quins took advantage of their tiring opponents.

In the 39th minute a forward drive led to Darryl Marshall crossing for Liam Cambridge to convert.

From the kick off the home team kept possession and after 15 phases left winger Kyle Adams sprinted in for victory.

"Both teams gave a massive effort and full credit to Quins who kept going to the end. I thought our front row of Sam Duffy and Cathal Cregan were strong throughout and the back row of Stephen Corr, Richard Baird and Jonny Lyons put in a lot of work" said club representative Moss Dineen.

Results: Armagh 17 Instonians 16, Ballymena 50 Ards 0, Ballynahinch 24 Rainey 15, Banbridge 18 Queen's 6, Belfast Harlequins 15 City of Derry 14, Dungannon 3 Malone 25.

* a draw in a rugby match is a rarity but that was the outcome when Ulster Women and Connacht Women played out a 0-0 stalemate.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph