| 13°C Belfast

Jones pleased with attitude


Lyn Jones hailed his side's attitude as they defeated Wasps in the LV= Cup

Lyn Jones hailed his side's attitude as they defeated Wasps in the LV= Cup

Lyn Jones hailed his side's attitude as they defeated Wasps in the LV= Cup

Newport Gwent Dragons boss Lyn Jones praised his side as they hauled their way back into LV= Cup contention this season with a 20-8 victory over London Wasps at Rodney Parade.

But Wasps director of rugby Dai Young was incensed by the performance of referee Steve Lee and what he claimed was a catalogue of errors which left his side frustrated.

The match saw tries for the Dragons from wings Matthew Pewtner and Ashton Hewitt plus two penalties and two conversions from full-back Rhys Jones. Wasps flanker Matt Everard scored the Londoners' only try to go with a solitary Joe Carlisle penalty as the second-half was littered with indiscipline.

It resulted in a mass fight at the end of the game which threatened to spill into the stands at the Dragons' home stadium in Newport, one of three such brawls that took place from just before the hour mark.

Both sides had lost their opening games and so, while the Dragons have a lifeline, Wasps are out.

The Dragons, though, deserved the win and Jones said: "It was a good game and everyone tried to be positive and play. I was pleased with the attitude and skill levels to play.

"It was an opportunity for a few of them for the future and some boys put their hands up. I thought both sides attacked the game well and am really pleased to just concede eight points at the end."

He added: "There are a lot of good rugby players in Wales, we just have to give them a chance against good opposition."

The Dragons rugby director was, though, silent on the controversial incidents of the second-half, saying: "We will just have to see the video."

But Young was not quite as fearful of saying what he thought of Mr Lee's performance as Wasps exited the tournament.

He said: "First and foremost, I thought the Dragons deserved the victory because they were the more committed and determined team.

"Our task, although we didn't help ourselves, was made impossible because the game was not refereed at all and probably one disappointment from me is that it took fifty minutes for my players to kick-off because of it.

"This is not to say this is why we lost the game but it stops teams from playing any decent rugby.

Rugby Round Up Newsletter

Exclusives and expert analysis from the sports team straight to your inbox

This field is required

"I don't think he refereed the breakdown, people were being taken off the ball and were in front of the ball. It was just constant non-refereed. Driving line-outs were taken down on three occasions and nothing was given."

He said of the fight at the end: "Nobody wants to see that anymore. It is not what rugby is about now but it is understandable and I am surprised it did not happen before."

Top Videos