Junior World Championships: Ban will keep Buckley out of Springboks test
Ireland U-20 forward Shane Buckley has been banned for one match after being cited for an incident in the closing stages of the opening game in the Junior World Championship against England last Friday.
The Garryowen man, who can play second-row or back-row, was yellow-carded by South African referee Jaco Peyper following the intervention of a touch judge in the closing moments of England's 33-25 win.
Ireland had just taken the lead for the first time and England went back in front from the resultant penalty, with a late converted try denying Mike Ruddock's men a losing bonus point.
Irish manager Mick Kearney, who attended the hearing in Treviso yesterday morning, confirmed Buckley (19) had been cited for bringing a knee into contact with an opposing player.
“There were mitigating circumstances and these were taken into account at the hearing. We are happy with the process and the outcome,” said Kearney.
Buckley, who had come on as a replacement in the final quarter of the match, will miss tomorrow's clash against South Africa in Treviso, but the former Rockwell College player will be available for the final pool game against Scotland next Saturday in Rovigo.
Kearney said Ireland did not have any injury concerns ahead of the game.
Winger Andrew Conway believes Ireland will bounce back after their agonising defeat by England.
“We are still playing for a semi-final spot. We made it difficult for ourselves against England by conceding a try at the end of each half which should have been prevented,” said Conway, who has returned to the team after an ankle injury.
“I don't think I have ever played with a team that put so much effort into a match. This group of players really want to go forward.
“We have a very good squad, including some brilliant players who weren't even in the 22 for the England game and that will allow us mix it around,” added Conway, who played in eight Magners League games for Leinster in their recent campaign.
Conway, who featured in last year's tournament in Argentina and who has 12 caps at U-20 level, said that the four-day turnaround meant there was little time to dwell on things.
But he feels that they will have no problem gearing up for the game against the Springboks.
“We are raring to go and we want to build on our first performance,” he added.